Tetris Screen Scattering.

edited July 2017 in Software
So I downloaded and copied Tetris to a floppy, and then to my hard drive, and it runs.

It's the version from Spectrum Holobyte from 1987, the one with the soviet-themed backgrounds.

Anyways, it works, but when I get to the high scores screen, everything is scattered like so:

19884049_10210045428356431_7271362178897211964_n.jpg?oh=0cdaf36935ce4dac23d4ca6e93832d23&oe=5A10DE2C

I tried turning my computers turbo mode off (in my packmate III turbo mode is on by default and makes the computer run at it's advertised speed of 12mhz, turning turbo off, slows it down by half to 6Mhz.)

That didn't work either, the game ran fine, but the high scores were still scattered everywhere.

Is the file maybe corrupted, is there some way to stop this from happening? Etc?

Comments

• My best guess is that it looks like a formating issue with the program. As the text is scrambled every ware... Do you know if it saves the high scores to a file? Maybe you can try to erase the file and see what it does.. I'm not an expert so take my advise with a grain of salt.
  • I'm also having the same problem with that same game in DOSBox.
  • Twiggy wrote:
    when I get to the high scores screen, everything is scattered like so:

Is the file maybe corrupted, is there some way to stop this from happening? Etc?
    Yes, this happens when the high score data file "HIGH" (a 200 byte file without an extension) is missing or corrupt, actually deleting that file corrupts the high score table similar to the screenshot on your picture (except for the names), if the file is actually there, is it really 200 bytes in size?

Also, was this transferred from a 5.25" floppy? I've read here that you were having issues with Commander Keen 1 because of a floppy disk problem, so I guess it's worth a shot to try reinstalling Tetris to see if that fixes your problem.
  • no it was transferred with a stand 3.5.