I cant virtlice windows 2.x!

edited July 2017 in Software
Even if i try it will say unsuportted dos version. what do i do?

Comments

• If you are using DOS 5.0 or 6.x, make sure you have a SETVER entry for "WIN200.BIN" to report "3.40"
  • I think thhe best way is to use DOS 3.3x version with Windows 2.x / 286.

I installed Windows 2.10 286 (5.25" type) with IBM PC DOS 3.30.
    Of course it is possible to install it on DOS 4.x - 6.x by using SETVER.
  • Absolutely go for earlier than MS-DOS 5.0, because newer DOS versions had their own high memory managers (like HIMEM), and Windows 2.x is very picky when it comes to high memory. Since the older versions of DOS, for which Windows 2.x was written, didn't use the high memory area and didn't care too much about it, Windows 2.x has its own way of accessing the high memory area.
  • majkl98se wrote:
    Absolutely go for earlier than MS-DOS 5.0, because newer DOS versions had their own high memory managers (like HIMEM), and Windows 2.x is very picky when it comes to high memory. Since the older versions of DOS, for which Windows 2.x was written, didn't use the high memory area and didn't care too much about it, Windows 2.x has its own way of accessing the high memory area.

Couldn't you just disable HIMEM.SYS completely in MS-DOS 5.0 and above? (This would require a reboot, but the issue could be partially alleviated by the use of CONFIG.SYS menus)
  • majkl98se wrote:
    newer DOS versions had their own high memory managers (like HIMEM), and Windows 2.x is very picky when it comes to high memory.
    Windows 2.11/386 came bundled with it's own ancient version of HIMEM.SYS.
  • HIMEM.SYS is included from Windows 2.10/286 or MS-DOS 4.00.

HIMEM.SYS (ver 1.1 - 6/25/88) (1,610 bytes) <-- For Windows 2.1 286/386
    HIMEM.SYS (ver 2.04 -8/17/88) (6,261 bytes) <-- For MS-DOS 4.00/4.01/4.01C