Why I will use Windows 7 Until 2020.

2»

Comments

• I'll try the eval once I beat Red Dead Redemption for the 3rd time.
  • LTSB... if you can obtain a copy it would be the perfect "conspiracy theorist" edition of 10.
    That sounds like something I could live with. It may soon be time to give in to Windoze Tehn after all.
  • Here I am dreaming of a stripped-down version of Win10. Now with that known, it seems that it's become reality. I could maybe make use of that for myself too if I could. I saw that Microsoft doesn't want anyone to use it other than what it's really intended but, fuck that. It's better than the shit that we've been seen from the past two years now. Time for a fresher.

By the way, I could even install it under VirtualBox but I don't think I can, when it requires hardware acceleration that this seven-year-old laptop does not have.
  • Just found something while looking for Enterprise LTSB. It turns out WIndows 10 will indeed be the final version. I didn't want to believe the rumors myself until I found this little gem on the Microsoft site:
    Microsoft wrote:
    Windows 10 is our last major Windows system release. With Windows as a service, we’re beginning the journey to simplify the delivery and management of Windows, while providing the most flexible management and deployment options today. With One Windows, we have one app platform, one security model, and one management approach that can reduce complexity and save costs.

Link to quoted article
  • Bry89 wrote:
    Here I am dreaming of a stripped-down version of Win10. Now with that known, it seems that it's become reality. I could maybe make use of that for myself too if I could. I saw that Microsoft doesn't want anyone to use it other than what it's really intended but, fuck that. It's better than the shit that we've been seen from the past two years now. Time for a fresher.

By the way, I could even install it under VirtualBox but I don't think I can, when it requires hardware acceleration that this seven-year-old laptop does not have.

Hardware acceleration has been around for a while... a 7 year old laptop should easily have the option for it.
  • I'm pretty sure VT was standard on all Intel and AMD CPUs 7 years ago. Check to see if it's disabled in firmware.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Just found something while looking for Enterprise LTSB. It turns out WIndows 10 will indeed be the final version. I didn't want to believe the rumors myself until I found this little gem on the Microsoft site:
    Microsoft wrote:
    Windows 10 is our last major Windows system release. With Windows as a service, we’re beginning the journey to simplify the delivery and management of Windows, while providing the most flexible management and deployment options today. With One Windows, we have one app platform, one security model, and one management approach that can reduce complexity and save costs.

Link to quoted article

While I doubt it's true indefinitely, it probably is for a while. I am however willing to be that at some point, down the line, however far down the line, there will be another Major release of Windows.
  • In case anyone wants to look, here's a quick shot of a fresh install of LTSB.
    As you can see, the calculator is classic win32. Task manager remains unchanged.
    And for the start menu, what you see is what you get when you click the start flag.

T5GF0ZM.png

You can see it trying to install onedrive, that can be canceled and removed with group policy.
  • Are help files local on the computer, or do they still send you to Microsoft's web site?
  • They still redirect you to Microsoft.
    Oh I mean bing.

pQCNV67.png
  • Does anyone actually use help files?
  • Some of us do. Myself included.
  • So basically as long as I have a Windows 7 product key, I should be able to get Windows 10 for free?
  • So basically as long as I have a Windows 7 product key, I should be able to get Windows 10 for free?

Yes... at least for now. No telling how much longer it will work.
  • Popeyewinter: I know correcting grammar is an annoying thing for people to do, indefinitely does not mean forever - it means an unspecified period of time. It can technically be used to mean an unlimited period of time but there are other words, and indefinitely is most correctly used to refer towards an unspecified period of time.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of bitching about Windows.
  • If you want, popeyewinter I can sell you a windows 10 edu key.

Normally you can get it free or at reduced cost depending on your school or organization's VOL(mine licenses government computers as well as school computers) and they may allow you to purchase keys for yourself.

I originally purchased this for my nephew who was going to university, but he developed 10-phobia and didn't tell me. So neither he nor I want it(I have Server 2016).
    I purchased it for 99 euros(an enterprise key would have cost me 198), which is around 115 american dollars. This version sits as a middle-ground between 10 pro and 10 enterprise.
    Read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/educat ... -customers

Offers a fair bit of configuration that you may be interested in, such as disabling cortana, pesky tips + tricks, as well as idiotic store recommendations.
    Also offers much of the enterprise capability such as disable auto-updates and telemetry control.

If interested, pm me an offer. My purchase agreement stated nothing about reselling keys, only placing them on the public web for piracy which I will not do.

Someguy if you don't want me unloading a legal Windows 10 Key, the please remove this and pm me.
  • Please don't use the forums to sell software licenses publicly.

From a quick google search it seems that edu is only available through volume licensing, meaning A) whoever sold it to *you* was violating their license and B) further resale would again, be prohibited.

folder_lock.gif
This discussion has been closed.