PC DOS 5.00 Editor Glitch

edited June 2017 in Software
Since I own a boxed copy of IBM PC DOS 5.00, I downloaded a copy from the Library to use on my VMs.

However, EDIT has a major glitch that prevents it from working.

Something very worrying occurs when using VPC2k7. After installing, I decided to modify the startup batch file to include a few variables and some programs, but running the Editor crashes everything. As in, my Windows 7 host BSODs and restarts. This happens every time I run the Editor. Moving the files to DOSBox just freezes it (DOSBox) when run. I haven't tried any other virtualizers, as I expect the results to be similar.

Does anyone know why this might be happening or if there's a way to fix it? If this isn't enough info, just ask and I'll tell you what I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-dos-5-0 ... m-systems/

This issue was fixed after IBM PC DOS 5.00.1

So I don't recommend to use VPC2k7 with IBM PC DOS 5.00 if possible.
    VPC2k7 / VMWARE / DOSBOX doesn't suppport IBM ROM BASIC.

It works on PCE or PCEM, 86BOX emulator with IBM ROM BASIC.

(Machine Type : IBM PC 5150/5160/5162/5170, PS/2 Model 25/30/50/60/80 etc.)
  • Thanks for finding that article. So this version of QBASIC fails without ROM BASIC, that still doesn't explain why it brings my entire system down. I guess I can try to copy the Editor and QBASIC from MS-DOS 5, that could work.
    ibmpc5150 wrote:
    So I don't recommend to use VPC2k7 with IBM PC DOS 5.00 if possible.
    Up till now, Virtual PC has served my needs well. I'd rather fix it by just replacing QBASIC than to use a different program.

At least now I know (partially) what's wrong, thanks.

EDIT: Alright, I was able to fix it by modifying Setup diskette #2. Replacing QBASIC.EX_ with one from PC DOS 5.02 (also from the Library) did the trick. After reinstalling, running EDIT or QBASIC in the VM no longer crashes my host OS, but displays the good old text editor like normal.

T9TwSAm_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high
    Success!
  • Wow. Facepalm at IBM for being jerks and crashing instead of exiting normally and telling the user what is wrong. At least they didn't run the speaker like a siren and flash the floppy disk lights while calling the user an evil pirate.

And a second facepalm at VirtualPC for letting a simple malfunctioning DOS program hose up the host OS.
  • I guess this seems not to be bug, but it still was required IBM ROM BASIC because IBM PC DOS was for IBM PC or PS/1 PS/2 series.

I don't know the reason why IBM allowed to use QBASIC on IBM PC compatible (without ROM BASIC) after version 5.00.1

P.S. IBM DOS 3.30 runs on normal IBM PC compatible (without IBM ROM BASIC) except BASIC.COM (IBM Disk BASIC) and BASICA.COM (IBM Advanced BASIC)
  • I've never actually seen version 5.00.1, how would that be badged? Would it say "5.00.1" or still "5.00" and just have updated files? Tried Google and eBay but they get me nowhere.

EDIT: Okay, looking at the back of my box, there's a list of supported systems, all are IBMs. Guess I have the fucked up version, 5.00.1 would list the supported clones as well, wouldn't you think?
  • 5.00.1 is clearly labelled, unlike its M$ counterpart.

There is a step-up diskset, which I converted to raw disk images.
  • Fantastic, buricco! Thank you. This would make a great addition to the PC DOS 5 page in the Library.
    zKiRWF5_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high
    (Ignore that gray box in the corner, it's a third-party clock TSR I found online. Oh, and the new version of Editor also runs without murdering my host OS; it's always kinda nice when programs don't crash.)

Apparently, the updates on these Corrective Service Diskettes were distributed free from IBM via BBS and, for a small fee, on floppies through snail mail. This being said, I will apply the patches without worrying about buying the diskettes they came on. It works very well and I'm happy as can be. Thanks again!