I created a VGA version of the Windows 3.0 TestDrive

edited June 2017 in Software
DISCLAIMER: Please note that this version of the Windows 3.0 TestDrive is a non-authentic version created by me. This software is provided as-is; I am not responsible for any damages to your computer/virtualizer caused by installation/usage of this software. PC World and Windows 3.0 are trademarks of their respective owners. Post continues below.

After about a half-hour of SETUP.INF editing, file replacing, and other things, I have created a VGA-only version (5.25 1.2MB floppy) of the Windows 3.0 TestDrive so that you can see what it would have looked like in VGA resolution. Specifically, I did this:

- Replaced the EGA video driver with the VGA one from Windows 3.0a
- Replaced the EGA system fonts with the VGA ones from Windows 3.0a
- Edited the SETUP.INF accordingly

Functionality-wise, this is absolutely identical to the authentic EGA-only version, and it still includes Solitaire and the PC World Demo program.

Download Link: https://goo.gl/ujWdbq

For more information about this software, see SomeGuy's very informative post: viewtopic.php?t=6919

Here's some screenshots:

(some more screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/MHQCk)

D5TESGs.png

DZD9oAk.png

UN66WE5.png

RqBLnlP.png

Iwbo58p.png

hQ66VuX.png

Tell me what you think of it.

EDIT: I don't know if this should be in the Offers and Requests section, but feel free to move it there if needed.

EDIT 2: Added better download link and fixed spelling.

Comments

• You're still using the EGA fonts after installation, which explains why the text appears stretched horizontally.
  • You're still using the EGA fonts after installation, which explains why the text appears stretched horizontally.

Will fix when I get time (most likely a couple weeks from now, I'm going to be very busy with some IRL things until then)

Thanks for the feedback!
  • This looks promising. I actually like the slightly stretched font thing. Any chance of a CD image of this that i could slap into an MS-DOS VM? I would like to see how this thing fights against VirtualBox (hopefully no stupid kernel patches needed like with Win95). To put it shortly, good work Erito17!
  • pcgeek wrote:
    Any chance of a CD image of this that i could slap into an MS-DOS VM?

You don't need a CD image to run this. The install disks (see download link in my original post) are supposed to be mounted to your VM's floppy drive.
    pcgeek wrote:
    I would like to see how this thing fights against VirtualBox

The first time you run it, use 'win /r' to run it in real mode. If you don't run it in real mode the first time, VirtualBox will go into Guru Meditation (fatal crash state). Subsequent runs of Windows will work without the '/r' switch.
    pcgeek wrote:
    To put it shortly, good work Erito17!

Thanks!