Remove Windows 98 Plus Logo.

edited June 2017 in Software
Hey,

I want to keep my Windows 98 plus package installed, however, I don't want the additional plus logo on my start-up sceen. Does anyone know how I could remove it and get back to the default boot logo?

Comments

• Try editing LOGO.SYS in the root of your C: drive. It's an 8-bit RLE-encoded Windows bitmap file with a resolution of exactly 320×400 pixels at 256 colors.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOGO.SYS

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You could delete LOGO.SYS, which would force Windows to extract the default OS bootscreen from MSDOS.SYS. Don't modify MSDOS.SYS!
  • ^ Thanks,

Deleting LOGO.SYS worked!
  • When I shutdown, it still shows the plus on the splash screen, what should I do about that?
  • The shutdown screen is in Logow.sys
  • Thanks,

now does anyone know how to change the colour of the bar on the start menu?

You know, the one that is blue and says "Windows 98"?

The blue bar is clashing with my Marilyn Manson "Antichrist" Theme, I want to change it to black.
  • I guess you take explorer.exe(?) into a resource editor...
  • There are some tools to edit it if you don't want to use a resource editor. Take a look at this thread: https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/146394 ... indows-98/

They give a few suggestions for tools you could try. I'd recommend trying them in a VM first, that way you don't mess up the OS on your physical machine.
  • I absolutely despise Manson's music, and just the sound of that theme makes it sound frightening to me.

But - all that I can really do here is ask...Why do you want to remove the plus logo? There's really no point, how does it impair your usage of Windows 98?
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I absolutely despise Manson's music, and just the sound of that theme makes it sound frightening to me.

But - all that I can really do here is ask...Why do you want to remove the plus logo? There's really no point, how does it impair your usage of Windows 98?

Maybe the Plus! logo clashes with OP's theme. I don't think it matters why OP wants to remove them though.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    I absolutely despise Manson's music, and just the sound of that theme makes it sound frightening to me.

Maybe the Plus! logo clashes with OP's theme. I don't think it matters why OP wants to remove them though.

Exactly, the correct thing to do when someone asks for help with something is tell them how to do it if you know, or point them to someone/where else who may be able to help, if you do not know.

Asking them why they want to do whatever they want to do, is pointless and doesn't aid the OP in any way.
  • Asking them why they want to do whatever they want to do, is pointless and doesn't aid the OP in any way.

While that's true in this case, context can often make a difference in providing solutions or work arounds. Also, sometimes people can't fully articulate what they want or their questions are misleading. I've often worked with people and couldn't figure out how to help them until I found out the why.