Wolfenstein 3D "not enough memory".

edited June 2017 in Software
Wolf3d keeps saying it doesn't have enough memory to run now.

It used to work perfectly fine, but for now, for some reason it keeps saying there is not enough memory, but Duke Nukem 3D works perfectly fine, and that's a more intense game requirements wise.

I am running my compaq deskpro with a Pentium II @ 400mhz, and 192mb of RAM, and Windows 98 (first edition).

I tried restarting in DOS mode, and running from there, but that didn't work either, and duke works as a DOS shortcut from the desktop anyway.

Never experienced a situation in which a game from 1992 would not run because of "memory", but a game from 1996 would run perfectly fine. Does anyone know what could be "up"?

Comments

• Try a boot diskette. Reinstall Wolfenstein If that doesn't work.
  • Duke Nukem 3D uses a 386 DOS extender, so it does not need much of the base 640K free.

Wolf 3d, on the other hand is entirely real-mode. It can cache some data in EMS or XMS if available, but the program runs in the base 640k, and requires as much as possible to be available.
  • Ahh, now I remember seeing error messages like that before. Make a minimal boot diskette. Load nothing but the barest essentials and try running the game again.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Duke Nukem 3D uses a 386 DOS extender, so it does not need much of the base 640K free.

Wolf 3d, on the other hand is entirely real-mode. It can cache some data in EMS or XMS if available, but the program runs in the base 640k, and requires as much as possible to be available.

I deleted the DOS cd-rom drivers I installed, and it works now. I found out I didn't need those CD-rom drivers anyway, because even with them, I couldn't access my optical drives in pure DOS mode, but I can with the DOS prompt under Windows.