Why WinWorld is great

edited June 2017 in Software
Now I know, this doesn't have anything to do with software... it's about WinWorld. I used to download ISOs from unknown places until I found WinWorld (another site gave me a virus!) WinWorld was this new place. It looked shady... but it's not. To tell truth, all my windows ISOs I retrieved from here! I can always be confident that my
file from WinWorld is safe. I just want to thank ALL the staff for making sure there isn't any malware in the .7z files and also all the users who uploaded these safe files! I hope everybody feels the same way about WinWorld!

Comments

• I first found out about this place by chance, like yourself, and I had to make do with random sites to get ISOs before I knew of it. Since knowing of WinWorld itself, it's one of the safest sites to go and the most trustworthy. I really should've known about it sooner...

You can thank Duff for its existence ;)
  • I found this site by having an obsession with OS's and Microsoft Office, and after hours of searching, I came by this site. Like you, I was worried about the danger of this site, so my first ever download was in a VM
  • I have to say that this community has had a complete turn around since when I first joined. New users were looked upon as stupid and the administrators here would make an example out of them. Along with some of the old timers being complete dicks. But besides that, this place is really nice. Like most of you above, I found this site in an interest in learning about old software and see how the world developed with it.

Glad to hear that others feel the same way about this place.
  • It's probably not adding much in the way of constructive content, but I just wanted to say how much I like this site and how important it is to keep stuff like this from disappearing forever.
  • I have always turned to WinWorld whenever I need an old Windows ISO. All of my old machines use software I've found here in WinWorld.
  • Agree, I've been a lurker forever and it's a pretty amazing site. My Windows 98 machine's entire software library either came from here or actual physical original media =P
  • There isn't a more definitive collection of Abandonware OS's and Programs like WinWorld! All you could ever want or need is here and for free. Absolutely the best! Thank you!!!!
  • I found WinWorld while looking for a way to get Office 97 on a PC without a DVD drive. Since then, I've downloaded numerous OSes from WinWorld and tried them on VirtualBox on my Retina MacBook Pro, which doesn't have a DVD drive. (See a theme here?)

Some things I've been able to do, thanks to WinWorld's existence:

- Run Windows 2000 on VirtualBox (with my own key, not one from WinWorld-- I only downloaded the ISO)
    - Figure out how to use Windows 3.x (with the Windows 3.0 PC World Test Drive)
    - Learn a lot about old OSes, thanks to WinWorld's wealth of information about them.
    - Find a place I can trust.

WinWorld means a lot to me, and I hope that it stays alive for a long, long time.

P.S. I've been able to access WinWorld and WinBoards on a Nintendo DSi from 2009. Don't ask.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    WinWorld means a lot to me, and I hope that it stays alive for a long, long time.
    I second this. I found WinWorld earlier this year. I had been messing around with moving my DOS-based GOG.com purchases into my portable DOSBox environment and stumbled on a DOSBox ready Windows 3.1 download.

I had been messing around on and off with emulating Windows 95 and Windows 98 to play some of my older CD's, but getting Windows 3.1 up and running reinspired me to continue.

Somehow I ended up here and have been picking my way through the library since, looking for interesting things to try. Finding the Windows Entertainment Pack has been bringing back a ton of memories. Klotski and SkiFree and Space Cadet Pinball, oh my!

Also, I'm loving the software spotlight posts!