Are these real (or "official") WIndows 3.1 floppies?

edited May 2017 in Software
Hi. I was just doing some digging through my dad's old 3.5 floppy disks from back in the 90's, and I came across 3 titled "MS DOS Windows Ver 3.1 disk x of 7". What intrigued me most was that the labels were hand written on, and then later crossed out. They also are void of any official Microsoft markings. I put them into his old HP Pavilion, and all 3 of them were completely blank. These aren't genuine copies, right?

e4kMc0fh.jpg

Comments

• Ha, ha. Very funny. Microsoft distributed millions of Windows 3.1 disks. You think they would have hand written all of them?

Now, if you were digging through disks from the 1970s or early 80s you might find some early "official" disks with hand written or sloppily typewritten labels. Of course the pros used dot matrix :P

But if you wanted to sell software to the consumer market, even back then you needed to make it look nice. So publishers usually tried to have nice professionally printed labels.
  • For reference, one of my few classic pieces of software I have is a boxed copy of Windows 3.1:

ynI6Fjpx.jpg

X4qOpY50.jpg