Convert files from WordPerfect 5.1

I have a bunch of old (early/mid 1990s) WordPerfect 5.1 .wpd files that I need to convert into something more modern. Is there a relatively painless way to do this? libwpd sent me into a BSD hell of cascading dependencies. For privacy reasons, I don't want to use a web-based service. I've already tried OpenOffice; no luck. Any advice?

Comments

• Did you try opening your files with a newer version of WordPerfect then saving? Office 97 has the option to open WordPerfect files, you could open them there and Save As an Office document.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Did you try opening your files with a newer version of WordPerfect then saving? Office 97 has the option to open WordPerfect files, you could open them there and Save As an Office document.

...and Office 97 is available on WinWorld (https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-office/97-98) so this should make it easier for perlgrrl (the original poster) to convert the .wpd files to a newer format (.doc), and then (if desired) use a more recent version of Office (2007 or newer) to convert that to a .docx file.