Windows 98 FE/SE boot floppy

edited April 2017 in Software
Did Winworld ever get this resolved?
My recollection is that recently, there was an issue with having a working boot floppy with proper CD-ROM support - and one from Microsoft and not a 3rd party solution.

Just finished installing "Windows 98 SE with PLUS!" and of course it offers to produce a boot floppy for future use.

So I made one (via VirtualPC) and saved the image with WinImage.

PS: I just checked - WW does not have "Windows 98 SE with PLUS!" ISO. This is the bootable OEM that acts like retail one. It also just performed an upgrade install over top of Windows 98 FE. Very nice.

SHA-1: DDE12240CC643CFE8813ABF80AF7AB18606558DA

Comments

• what is SHA-1?
  • what is SHA-1?

A hashing algorithm. In this context, it is used to verify the integrity of the file. You download the file, run it through a utility which will generate a SHA-1 hash and you compare that to the one provided. It should match if the file has not been altered or corrupted in transit.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    what is SHA-1?

A hashing algorithm. In this context, it is used to verify the integrity of the file. You download the file, run it through a utility which will generate a SHA-1 hash and you compare that to the one provided. It should match if the file has not been altered or corrupted in transit.

Oh, ok.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    Did Winworld ever get this resolved?
    My recollection is that recently, there was an issue with having a working boot floppy with proper CD-ROM support - and one from Microsoft and not a 3rd party solution.

If needed, I can image my Windows 98 boot diskette from the box.
  • PCAT wrote:
    If needed, I can image my Windows 98 boot diskette from the box.
    The borked diskette image was for Windows 95 OSR2, not Windows 98.

This is the thread talking about the messed up diskette image
  • BigCJ wrote:
    PCAT wrote:
    The borked diskette image was for Windows 95 OSR2, not Windows 98.

This is the thread talking about the messed up diskette image

ah...

Well, an unborked one from 98 FE or 98 SE will still work and definitely better than unobtanium W95 ones.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    ah...

Well, an unborked one from 98 FE or 98 SE will still work and definitely better than unobtanium W95 ones.
    Not particularly. Windows 95 OSR2, OSR2.5 and Windows 98FE/SE boot diskettes all use rebranded MS-DOS 7.1. Aside from included drivers and utilities, there's not really any difference between them.