Can Windows 95/98/2000 install on this?

edited April 2017 in Software
Hello,

So I have an eMachines E443 laptop from 2010, that I don't use much, and the OS on there currently is Windows 10, so (It runs really slowly) would it be possible to install Windows 95/98/2000 on there via USB flash device? Would I need some sort-of boot loader to do so? I'd like to give the eMachines an easier OS to handle as the Hard Disk has a hard life on Windows 10 (It's always between 95 - 100% use most of the time)

Here's the specs;
eMachines E443
320 GB Hard Drive
8GB DDR3 Ram
AMD C-50 Processor @ 1GHz.
No floppy disk contoroller
3x USB 2.0 ports

Would it work? Also I can resize ram to Minimum 2GB as I have 2x 4GB sticks in now, and I have 2x 2GB extra ram from a previous laptop.

Comments

• Probably, but I'm not exactly sure.
  • It is unlikely you will be able to find drivers to make any of those operate properly.

Your best bet would be Windows 7.

But something else to consider: are you running the 64 bit or 32 bit version of Windows 10? With a machine like that you may see better performance with the 32-bit version (and as a bonus you get Windows 3.1/DOS compatibility)
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It is unlikely you will be able to find drivers to make any of those operate properly.

But something else to consider: are you running the 64 bit or 32 bit version of Windows 10? With a machine like that you may see better performance with the 32-bit version (and as a bonus you get Windows 3.1/DOS compatibility)

It is Windows 10 64-bit version 1703, although just to find out today, the Win10 installation for some reason won't boot anymore. And yes, I did already have Windows 7 on there; it was extremely slow, and very minimal capability. What I mean is that whenever I tried to run a graphical game (Such as Solitaire or even, Minesweeper), it said it couldn't start because the graphics were not good enough (Too old). =/
  • Windows 9x:
    Little to no driver support
    2Gb is still too much RAM
    Hard drives over 127Gb don't work
    USB support under 9x is kinda finicky

Windows NT 5.0 (2000)
    Driver support still limited
    2Gb of RAM is fine
    Unsure of supported disk size, I think you need to apply a fix.
    USB support is generally good.

You didn't mention a CD-ROM drive. Installing older versions of Windows will be difficult if not impossible without one.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    I second this. Your system should be able to handle Win7 just fine.
  • If 7 runs on it, 8 will probably run better.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    If 7 runs on it, 8 will probably run better.

Yup I did Windows 8.1 too, it.. was.. AMAZ (lag lag lag lag lag) IN( lag lag lag lag) G! Long story short, anything Windows Vista or later lags a lot. (And I did try Vista)
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Windows 9x:
    Little to no driver support
    2Gb is still too much RAM
    Hard drives over 127Gb don't work
    USB support under 9x is kinda finicky

Windows NT 5.0 (2000)
    Driver support still limited
    2Gb of RAM is fine
    Unsure of supported disk size, I think you need to apply a fix.
    USB support is generally good.

You didn't mention a CD-ROM drive. Installing older versions of Windows will be difficult if not impossible without one.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    I second this. Your system should be able to handle Win7 just fine.

Yup, I forgot to mention that yes, it does have a CD Rom for CDs/DVDs and I do have a spare DVD RW disk that I could use to install Windows; anything under 650 MB is ok. No floppy disk controller (as I mentioned) so yeah. And if an OS requires more than one disk (For example, Win 3.1) I can't burn more than one disk without stalling the system during setup just to burn (For example) Disk 2 out of 6.
  • Win7 is the best.It can run too much software.
  • Alixnator wrote:
    Hello,

So I have an eMachines E443 laptop from 2010, that I don't use much, and the OS on there currently is Windows 10, so (It runs really slowly) would it be possible to install Windows 95/98/2000 on there via USB flash device? Would I need some sort-of boot loader to do so? I'd like to give the eMachines an easier OS to handle as the Hard Disk has a hard life on Windows 10 (It's always between 95 - 100% use most of the time)

Here's the specs;
    eMachines E443
    320 GB Hard Drive
    8GB DDR3 Ram
    AMD C-50 Processor @ 1GHz.
    No floppy disk contoroller
    3x USB 2.0 ports

Would it work? Also I can resize ram to Minimum 2GB as I have 2x 4GB sticks in now, and I have 2x 2GB extra ram from a previous laptop.

You could easily put Windows 95, 98, or 2000 on it... Considering you are able to find the supporting drivers.

Windows XP or 7 would be the best you'd get out of it, maybe Vista if you'd tolerate it.
  • Okie, I will give Windows 7 Home Premium a try. If you ask, "Why Home Premium?", it's because it's actually the original version of Windows the eMachines PC had when it was new. And considering there's an actual product key on the bottom indicating so, and it installed on there for a reason, (to work well) I'll give it a try. A thing I didn't try before on the second Windows 7 install (Ultimate) was installing drivers. I have the correct sound, ethernet, wireless, graphics, (Etc.) drivers ready now. Generally with Windows installations on the eME computer, it is super laggy because (Supposedly) the screen drivers aren't really in the correct resolution (a) or (b) the drivers aren't loaded yet? . It usually thinks the screen is 1024x768, but really it's 1366x768. And when it does auto adjust, it's quite a bit faster. Anyway, enough of me jabbering away, I have the USB installer for Windows 7 Home Prem ready, and I'll start it now. Thanks for all the help everyone! =D