Netscape 3.0, Windows 95A, Dial-Up Connection Reseting itsel

edited April 2017 in Software
So, I reinstalled MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 on my Thinkpad (this time Windows 95A instead of OSR 2.5), and everything works, my D drive appears even now after I installed my PCMCIA Xircom Modem.

Since this is 95A it didn't come with IE or an Internet features, so I installed the internet features from my MS Office 1997 disk after I installed MS Office 97, and I installed Netscape 3.0, however Netscape is not displaying some pages as well as IE 4.0 did with OSR 2.5.

I am trying to Download IE 4.0 on the Thinkpad itself from OldApps.com, and it works, however, netscape keeps giving me a popup saying the connection was "Reset by peer". I did turn off the auto-disconnect/Idle feature, so the connection should be there until I manually "hang-up", but it still happens.

I have 700 hours a month with my ISP so I don't think I'm going over my use (720 hours are in 30 days, and I have to sleep, work, shop, eat, etc, so I don't see me ever going anywhere near that in a month).

Only possibility I can find in my mind is that OldApps.com is reseting the connection, or google, because I am using their 8.8.8.8 DNS....

I heard this site has FTP for the archive is that true?

Comments

• Weird,

after restarting, it isn't resting anymore it's currently 69% Downloaded.

Maybe the restart was needed to make getting rid of the disconnect timer effective, but it didn't ask me to restart when I changed it, so.....
  • wow, it took a little over 2 hours to download a 13.6mb file at 26.4k/s

My modem is 56k, however since I live in the country, I have a reduced speed due to distance. At least that's what my ISP told me when I e-mailed their support address about me not getting near 56kps