Can't install windows98

edited April 2017 in Software
OK,so my laptop doesn't have a floppy, but i want to do a dualboot with windows98,so what do i do?
(Sorry for being so brief.)

Comments

• Dual boot with what?

What vintage/model of laptop is this?

Is Windows 98 supported on this laptop?

Does the BIOS support CD booting?

Why do you not have a floppy drive? If this used an external or swappable with a proprietary connector, then losing the drive is forgivable. If it is a newer machine designed without a floppy then it needs to be smashed with a hammer - and it probably won't run 98 anyway.
  • I think the question seems to be insufficient.

Most of Windows 98 versions media is for CD-ROM.

You can install Windows 98 from MS-DOS boot on HDD if you have CD-ROM.

(If not CD-ROM or it doesn't work, you should copy installer files from another PC to install.
  • Yeah I don't have a floppy on mine either.

http://thpc.info/dual/7/db_9x_on_win7.html
  • OK,so my laptop doesn't have a floppy, but i want to do a dualboot with windows98,so what do i do?
    (Sorry for being so brief.)

Does your PC have MS DOS on it? As it is required to install Windows 95-98
  • 1.Windows XP pro,2.2004 toshiba a105-s2236,3.yes,i have done it, see 4.It had a external floppy but i lost it,5.windows 98 CDs arn't bootable.
    (Also, MS-DOS is NOT reqired for a windows 98 install, you just need a boot floppy,hence my issue.)
  • I thought *some* of the Windows 98 CDs were bootable (OEMs?), but now I can't remember. If someone else could double check which ones are or are not, I'll add a note to the product page.

Anyway, without that probably the only way is just to get a CD-Rewritable, create a bootable 1.44mb floppy disk image with CD driver (The Windows 98SE boot disk should work) and use ImgBurn to create a bootable CD using that image. The version of ImgBurn here is known to work: https://winworldpc.com/product/imgburn/2x

Actually, one other way would be to remove the hard drive from the laptop, connect it to a regular PC (you will need the appropriate adapters), copy the 98 setup folder on to that, place it back in the laptop and run setup from there.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I thought *some* of the Windows 98 CDs were bootable
    I didn't know there were Windows 98 discs that weren't bootable. Way back when I was a senior in high school, my electronic engineering teacher had a Win98FE disc that could be booted from, and he let me ISO it. Still have that disc image on my hard drive somewhere.
  • @BigCJ

That is just same as Windows Me.

OEM full version of Win98FE/98SE/ME are bootable from CD/DVD-ROM.
  • So only the OEM versions are bootable, good to know. It was a non-original disc that just had "Windows 98" and a product key printed on it.
    ibmpc5150 wrote:
    LOL I wouldn't know, I don't use Mistake Edition.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    So only the OEM versions are bootable, good to know. It was a non-original disc that just had "Windows 98" and a product key printed on it.
    ibmpc5150 wrote:
    LOL I wouldn't know, I don't use Mistake Edition.

My technology teacher in High School said that he never had any problems with Millenium Edition.

The few times I have used millenium edition, I never had any problems either.

WIndows 2000 and Millenium Edition are the newest Windows Versions I will use. I don't consider XP to be old enough.
  • The reason it was dubbed Mistake Edition is because it mostly used Windows 98 drivers. Microsoft broke Bill Gates' promise of no more Win9x-based releases, and since this particular OS series was at the very tail end of its life, OEMs never really ported their drivers. This resulted in systems that worked most of the time, but would sometimes blue screen for no particular reason. Go to the Library and look at ME's entry. All the screenshots for ME are of BSOD error screens. Honestly, I don't know if it deserves the reputation it has, and I don't really care as it was such an unnecessary release. It was on the shelves for about a year before being replaced by XP. It never even had a Service Pack or an OSR released for it. Everything ME can do, 98FE can do just as well in my experience. If a program needs a newer version of Windows, load up 2000 as the system requirements are similar and 2k has the stability of NT on its side.

Anywho, this thread is getting really off-topic, what was the original question again?
  • ME was infamous for random, un-explainable (because it was driver related) crashes.

As for bootable/non-bootable: It is as IBMPC5150 says - only the OEM edition is bootable. He should know, as he contributed some items to the related threads on MyDigitalLife forums.

I have downloaded all but the Windows 98 SE "Upgrade" ISO from Winworld.
    I have no interest in FE editions, so do not know what Winworld has.

Below are sha-1 values for /what I know/ to be valid MSDN or genuine silver imaged ISOs:

en_win98_se.iso f56e6fbc58c24f140b9e3a09930a0643a2bef4dc 0aed4784 652,738,560 <--- Retail-Full
    en_win98_se_oem.iso fa040cd3f7fd472e9612b1721bc72d7b82538450 d1af0a78 655,591,424 <--- bootable
    en_win98_se_oem_upgrade.iso e100a72a4097ae6c1e2f38aceab2590bfd8fb414 1b4188ba 652,224,512
    en_win98_se_retail_upgrade.iso ad577edc3ce9f1a702b96ea523fcbd45a12ddfc8 a6fefca9 652,603,392
    en_win98_se_select.iso 40ce634978e4915ac56f630d79b149afc64f928d edaf0bb3 652,738,560 <-- Mystery Edition

There have been a couple of naming conventions over the years, so the sha-1 values are the only "truth" serum for any of these.

The simple answer for the OP: Get the OEM ISO.
  • @BigCJ

The interesting thing is that, MS supported CD-ROM Boot on OEM full only on WinME versions.
    I know MS began to support CD-ROM boot from Windows NT 4.0 ISO.

All Windows 2000 version (Retail Full / Retail Upgrade / OEM / Select) also supports CD-ROM boot.

I don't know Why Win9x doesn't support CD-ROM boot directly except OEM full version of 98/98SE/ME,
  • Ayyayayayayayayayayayayay.
    ImgBrn does't like my laptop, cant read the discs it burns,ect
  • I got to tell you - I've owned a shitpot full of Toshiba laptops over the years - they do love to burn out the CD-ROM drives.

Maybe as few as 10-15 burns and its toasted for burning. Will still read - but the burning days are OVER.

You can download a tool like UltraISO and even in trial mode do a 1X burn .

And you really should do a 1X burn anyway.
  • This was my dads laptop,i used it to burn 10s,maybe 100s of cds and it has worked flawlessly.ANYWAYS it is a dvd drive not a cd drive so i dunno.im downloading the .iso for the oem,but the timer says 0.7 day...
    and it IS accurate.