Windows 95 upgrade

edited April 2017 in Software
I am aware that Windows 95 at minimum requires a 386 machine with 4mb of ram, but 8mb is recommended.

I have an AMD486 Machine with 16mb of ram, so I expect it will install and run fine.

However, I am unsure weather it could handle many Windows 95 programs well, games for Windows 95 well, and how much I could run at one time. My hard drive is also only 256 megabytes and I think Win 95 will use up more than what 3.x can, much more.

So, I am unsure, stick with 3.1x or Upgrade to Windows 95?

Comments

• You did mention it was a flash disk, you mean CompactFlash? Those are common enough that finding a bigger one at a good price should be no trouble.
  • it seems to be a larger flash card, and I think I will stay with 3.1x as I already have a pentium machine running 95. I will only upgrade to WFW if needed to get on the internet.
  • I've seen up to 32Gb on a CompactFlash card, so you can go with Win95 if your only reservation is storage space. Of course, if you just want to stick with Win3.1x, that's good too.
  • well, I did buy a 14.4k USrobotics ISA modem, and it's from 94 so it should work with 3.1x, but if worse comes to worse, I may have to upgrade to 95. I hope I won't have to though.
  • Your computer should be able to handle Windows 95 just fine, you have plenty of memory, enough disk space and a very good processor.
  • I know, but I right now, have a computer running 3.xx, 95, and 98 all major DOS based releases from the 1990's. If I put Win 95 on this machine, it will throw it out of balance. It will also take away the coolness of me getting 3.xx on the internet.
  • If you want all DOS-based releases, you're forgetting about Mistake Edition.

EDIT: Okay, ME was from 2000, but still, you need it to complete the 9x series.