Windows 98 Second Edition (Select) on WW

edited April 2017 in Software
Here:
https://winworldpc.com/product/windows- ... nd-edition

Doesn't ring a bell - "Select Edition" I mean. Google didn't immediately turn up anything either.

So what makes this a "Select Edition" ?

I know that with frex Office 2000, Select Edition allows the IT guys to custom roll out just the features their company wants: Word only, Excel & Word only, etc.

Or is this some customized one-off?

Comments

• 02k-guy wrote:
    Here:
    https://winworldpc.com/product/windows- ... nd-edition

Doesn't ring a bell - "Select Edition" I mean. Google didn't immediately turn up anything either.

So what makes this a "Select Edition" ?

I know that with frex Office 2000, Select Edition allows the IT guys to custom roll out just the features their company wants: Word only, Excel & Word only, etc.

Or is this some customized one-off?

It says second edition not select edition
  • This is what it says (6th item down on the list):

Windows 98 Second Edition (Select) SE (Select) 544.56 MB English x86-32 CD-ROM ISO
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    This is what it says (6th item down on the list):

Windows 98 Second Edition (Select) SE (Select) 544.56 MB English x86-32 CD-ROM ISO

Oops I didn't see that, probably because I never knew it existed.
  • IIRC, Select was a series of CDs from Microsoft containing a buffet's worth of software. I think it was some kind of predecessor to either VL, MSDN, or TechNet?
  • Because it's a good ISO, the sha-1 was easy to track. It shows up on mydigitallife.
    (40CE634978E4915AC56F630D79B149AFC64F928D)

What I was wondering is where it fits in terms of usefulness.

It's not bootable, so not oem style? Or is it retail or upgrade?

I just re-ISO-ed all the silvers I have from that era and none of the 3 win98 SEs came up with that sha-1.

Like i said, its a good ISO, I'm just not sure where it fits in terms of useage.

All I can remember is somewhere around that time-frame, Microsoft pulled all the Java stuff out of every MS product due to the Sun Micro Systems lawsuit.

Maybe it was win98 FE - I don't remember.
  • Only other thing I can think of is back in the day, sometimes silvers issued to corporations were called both "corporate" and/or "select".

Anyway, I just need to build a clean, fresh VirtualPC image and was having a hard time choosing between the offerings on WW.