Laplink will not work...

edited March 2017 in Software
So,

I have Laplink 7.5 16-bit on the t2100 with windows 95, but I installed it before I upgraded to 95

I have Laplink 7.5 32-bit on the 4600 with 98 SE, they both installed and open just fine.

I have the DB9 end of my modem cable in the t2100 and the DB25 in the 4600, I enabled LPT1 on the 4600 with defalults, and COM1 with defaults on the t2100.

I made sure I typed in the right computer names in the connections many times now.

Why isn't it working? When I click "connect by cable", it doesn't show any connections...

Comments

• "Modem" cable? For laplink you need a "Null Modem" cable or adapter.

You can test a nullmodem cable by setting up hyperterm (or some other program) to the same speed on each end, and characters typed on one should show on the other.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    "Modem" cable? For laplink you need a "Null Modem" cable or adapter.

You can test a nullmodem cable by setting up hyperterm (or some other program) to the same speed on each end, and characters typed on one should show on the other.

Would this laplink D825 cable work? I'm guessing it's designed for use with the program.

https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Parallel-La ... B00LE8RIKM
  • That's a parallel port version (uses several data lines in parallel crosses over for even faster transfer). If both machines have parallel ports you can use that method instead.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    That's a parallel port version (uses several data lines in parallel crosses over for even faster transfer). If both machines have parallel ports you can use that method instead.

Yup both do, and so does my latest acquisition today that I will post about later.

I shall buy this tomorrow then, after returning the modem cable.
  • @popeyewinter

The question is related with H/W.
    I recommend to write it on Hardware forum the next time.
    Because this forum is for Software.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    @popeyewinter

The question is related with H/W.
    I recommend to write it on Hardware forum the next time.
    Because this forum is for Software.

I wrote it here, because I thought it was a software issue, I didn't know it has a hardware issue until someguy mentioned it.
  • Someguy:

This is the type of "Modem Cable" I am talking about, this is in fact the cable I bought and took this picture of:

17553967_10209122384560913_5823126097092847651_n.jpg?oh=0eb0e2e4430ee34849e14dae94985c25&oe=5999CE19

I assumed since it said "modem cable" it should work maybe I was wrong?

Here's some more info, this is completely uncharted territory for me: http://www.applied-computer.com/Invento ... ID=1318386
  • To keep it simple: Modem cables are meant to connect computers to modems. To connect computers to computers, you'll need a null-modem cable.
  • Thanks,

I just bought the Laplink cable I linked earlier today. Now to await it's arrival.
  • popeyewinter said:
    "I have the DB9 end of my modem cable in the t2100 and the DB25 in the 4600, I enabled LPT1 on the 4600 with defalults, and COM1 with defaults on the t2100.
    I made sure I typed in the right computer names in the connections many times now.
    Why isn't it working? When I click "connect by cable", it doesn't show any connections..."

Laplink connections must be serial to serial ports or parallel to parallel ports.
    You are trying to connect the 9-pin serial port to a 25-pin parallel port. Won't work.
    The modem cable you have was used to connect to a modem's 25-pin female serial port.

Your new parallel cable will connect both parallel ports and will work fine.

As a backup, the modem cable could be used to connect serial ports for Laplink if you get a 25-to-9 pin adapter
    and a 9-pin null modem adapter, but probably easier to just get a 9-pin to 9-pin null model cable.