Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0A Win 3.1 Drivers.

edited March 2017 in Software
I've had a Toshiba T2100 laptop, manufactured in early 95 (May), before the release of Windows 95.

When I bought it, for a measly $25 Canadian, it had Windows 95 installed on it, so I whipped the hard-drive, installed MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, as well as AfterDark (which I downloaded from the achieves, heck I got the DOS and Windows from the archives as well).

The problem is, it only has one PS/2 port, and it is dedicated to the keyboard, even when I tried CUTEMOUSE and plugged a PS/2 mouse into the port, all I got was a long series of beeps when I moved it or clicked a mouse button.

A few months ago, I did buy a Microsoft Serial Mouse, it is the 2.0A one.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a driver for Windows 3.1 though.

It has a monochrome screen, so hooking up a mouse is needed so that I can close the screen and use it as a desktop though the use of a CRT monitor and the VGA port.

I could probably solve a lot of problems with Windows 95's plug n play, but this laptop has a 486(DX) I think, may be an SX, the ram is only 20mb, plus the hard disk is 255.3mb. So it may be best to stay with 3.1. So, if I can, I'd think it's best to stick with 3.1,

P.S: Consider this a continuation of this thread from about 3 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6842

P.P.S: According to this, seems I should be able to upgrade:

System requirements for installing Windows 95:
Personal computer with a 386DX or higher processor (486 recommended)
4 megabytes (MB) of memory (8 MB recommended)
Typical hard disk space required to upgrade to Windows 95: 35-40 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
Typical hard disk space required to install Windows 95 on a clean system: 50-55 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive
VGA or higher resolution (256-color SVGA recommended)

I would however, like to stick with 3.1 still, because of the manufacture date, it must've been shipped with 3.1

Comments

• I've had a Toshiba T2100 laptop, manufactured in early 95 (May), before the release of Windows 95.

When I bought it, for a measly $25 Canadian, it had Windows 95 installed on it, so I whipped the hard-drive, installed MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, as well as AfterDark (which I downloaded from the achieves, heck I got the DOS and Windows from the archives as well).

The problem is, it only has one PS/2 port, and it is dedicated to the keyboard, even when I tried CUTEMOUSE and plugged a PS/2 mouse into the port, all I got was a long series of beeps when I moved it or clicked a mouse button.

It has a monochrome screen, so hooking up a mouse is needed so that I can close the screen and use it as a desktop though the use of a CRT monitor and the VGA port.

I could probably solve a lot of problems with Windows 95's plug n play, but this laptop has a 486(DX) I think, may be an SX, the ram is only 20mb, plus the hard disk is 255.3mb. So it may be best to stay with 3.1. So, if I can, I'd think it's best to stick with 3.1,

P.S: Consider this a continuation of this thread from about 3 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6842

Typical hard disk space required to upgrade to Windows 95: 35-40 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
    Typical hard disk space required to install Windows 95 on a clean system: 50-55 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.

I would however, like to stick with 3.1 still, because of the manufacture date, it must've been shipped with 3.1

That PS/2 must be for a keyboard only. and please try this driver http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=585604&auth=At82snaUidNtrCvtF7wFYmllar0f3%252BrewfY6ssl80ASyXtDyKACSJmjWs%252FRBGnKLR7p2Pl%252FuMB2F0l%252FZ80vstlz5is8%252BglPn0LJtChEPmlbEB90JlQcsaZJV61z%252F0H80
  • If it was made in '95, it probably came with WFW3.11 instead of Win3.1. Upgrading to Win95 is an option I'd seriously consider if you think it will solve the mouse problem.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    If it was made in '95, it probably came with WFW3.11 instead of Win3.1. Upgrading to Win95 is an option I'd seriously consider if you think it will solve the mouse problem.

I'm gonna try the driver micheal gave me, and if it doesn't work, I will see if I can upgrade the ram a bit, and then put on '95, which has a special place for me, considering I was born in '95.
  • I've had a Toshiba T2100 laptop, manufactured in early 95 (May), before the release of Windows 95.

That PS/2 must be for a keyboard only. and please try this driver http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=585604&auth=At82snaUidNtrCvtF7wFYmllar0f3%252BrewfY6ssl80ASyXtDyKACSJmjWs%252FRBGnKLR7p2Pl%252FuMB2F0l%252FZ80vstlz5is8%252BglPn0LJtChEPmlbEB90JlQcsaZJV61z%252F0H80

Tried it, it doesn't work. It installs, but the cursor doesn't move when the mouse moves, and nothing happens when I click a button.
  • time to do the Windows 95 upgrade!
  • If no drivers work, are you sure the mouse isn't broken or could the serial port be acting up? Hardware problems are always something to consider when peripherals don't work, especially older ones. I had a similar problem with a Genius serial mouse a couple of years ago and the mouse was defective. If Win95 doesn't fix it, you may have a bad mouse or port.
  • The port replicator for the T2100 includes PS/2 mouse port, so that at least means the hardware interface is present on the mobo.

Sometimes you have to disable the pointy stick, sometimes you have to go into BIOS and configure. On some I've owned, there's a little hardware button right on the keyboard that toggles pointy stick vs mouse.

And sometimes - depending on when you first made Windows aware of the PS/2 mouse - there will be an IRQ conflict - typically the modem port and the PS/2 try to use the same IRQ.

So that would mean going into configuration.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php? ... er.166827/

EDIT: Or just buy the port replicator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-PA2708U ... 2024223618
  • Finally, you haven't said whether you are actually loading the mouse driver - both at DOS and Win, but I'll take it that you are.

Logitech has great docs on troubleshooting:
    ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/ ... 3setup.txt

4.1 Detection Problems with PS/2 Pointing Devices

If your mouse is connected to the mouse port and is not
    detected by the system, attempt the following step(s):

1) Your mouse port might need to be enabled through the SETUP
    menu of your computer. Please check your computer
    documentation regarding the SETUP menu. This menu is normally
    accessed by pressing some key, such as F10 or DEL, during
    system start-up.

2) If you have a mouse with both serial and mouse port
    adapters, connect the mouse to the computer through the
    serial port. Reboot and check if the mouse is detected
    properly.

3) If adapter(s) were not included in your package, your mouse
    was designed to work on only one type of port (Serial OR
    PS/2). Refer to your package for the type of port your mouse
    supports.

If the problem persists, please check for a possible computer
    BIOS ROM upgrade from your computer manufacturer.

Some notebook systems have both an external Mouse Port and an
    integrated pointing device (stick, touchpad, or trackball) which
    is connected to the Mouse Port. If your mouse is having difficulty
    running on the Mouse Port of this type of system, try using the
    serial port instead.

4.2 Serial Port Detection Problems with Serial Pointing Devices
    under DOS and Windows 3.1x

If your mouse is connected to the serial port and is not
    detected by the system, add the following modification to the
    MOUSEDRV.INI file and reboot:

[Technical]
    Timing=Hardware

or load the DOS driver with the following parameter
    MOUSE.EXE NOINI

4.3 Conflicts with other Serial Devices

1) Windows 95/98
    If you have problems operating other serial devices together
    with MouseWare, in Windows 95/98 run Regedit.exe, edit the
    key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Logitech\MouseWare\
    CurrentVersion\Global\PortSearchOrder and remove the unused
    COM ports.

2) Windows NT 4.0
    If you have problems operating other serial devices together
    with MouseWare, in Windows NT 4.0 run Regedit.exe, edit the
    key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lsermou
    s\Parameters\Global\PortSearchOrder and remove the unused
    COM ports.

3) Windows 3.1x and DOS
    In Windows 3.1 edit the parameter "PortSearchOrder" in the
    [Global] section of the file MOUSEDRV.INI located in the
    C:\MOUSE directory and remove the unused COM port.
  • 02k-guy wrote:

I'd ave bought that in a heart beat, but unfortunately, I am in Canada, and seller won't ship here. Even though he's in ohio and im in Niagara.

But I found this, which does ship to Canada!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Port-Re ... Swux5YSejU
  • the floppy disk windows 95 upgrade I have, has the DISK02 IMG that is 1.6mb wtf?
  • the floppy disk windows 95 upgrade I have, has the DISK02 IMG that is 1.6mb wtf?

its called DMF format, which is a special floppy format that allows a floppy be to 1.68mb.
  • It's ready, Boot Disk plus 21 installation disks, 22 floppies in total.

Just began the Windows 95 RTM installation.

17424812_10209077502838898_3063582738063502448_n.jpg?oh=6c0cef7a83f0350b2635e46d3f98b76d&oe=59566633
  • Well Doctor, was the operation a success?
  • Many of those ports for PS/2 on laptops require a splitter.

Have you looked into docking stations?
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    Well Doctor, was the operation a success?

Unfortnately, no, the mouse is probably defective.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    Well Doctor, was the operation a success?

Unfortnately, no, the mouse is probably defective.

OOPS!!!