An issue with MalwareBytes

edited March 2017 in Software
Since yesterday, I received an upgrade for MalwareBytes to version 3.0.6 and already, I'm having issues with it and I wish I hadn't chose to upgrade in the first place. The main problem I have with the new version is that it doesn't really agree with this seven-year old laptop as I feel it's more optimised for Windows 10, as explained with the choppiness of the animations within it and that the scan causes a bit too much strain for the laptop's fan, having to spin much faster because it seems that the scanning process is alot more intense this time.

Now, I would love to downgrade it as I managed to get an installer to do so, put it back down to 2.2.1.1043 but since the new version was actually out since December, the old one is only under support for a short while therefore, the fear of not receiving any new virus definitions. If downgrading it may not be the best solution, I wonder if there's another alternative that someone here can recommend though maybe not in the same line as MalwareBytes itself. Or else, I would just have to stick with just Windows Defender alone even though that would only make me feel paranoid about security again.

Maybe the issues that myself (and few others) are having right now could be addressed for a future release but just now, I'm not really satisfied by it. I wonder if anybody else here, that also have MBAM, had these problems too but more so for those using it under Win7 like myself. Also, I know that this deals with the subject of modern-age software but, I hope someone can at least help out.

Comments

• Don't use the new version. You should maybe use 2.2.1 and Windows Defender at the same time. I don't get any viruses, and I don't use an antivirus. I don't know, viruses can be easily avoided.
    I would say maybe upgrade to Windows 10 but don't because it sucks.
  • Of course Windows 10 sucks. There is no denying it, even though it's been bashed enough already. And, I have Windows Defender with me anyway.

Also, I managed to downgrade it back to 2.2.1 along with using "mb-clean" to wipe out any leftovers from the new version though I had to reinstall the old version as well as reactivating my license. In addition, I've also made it not nag me about the new version by turning off the "program update" checkbox within its settings.

I will keep this version for now until June (where support for it will end) but after that, I'm worried of what should I do next. I do hope the new version will be better than what it is currently, such as dealing with its hefty RAM usage and such. If it doesn't change, then I may consider ditching MBAM (though I hate to do it, but I may have no choice) and maybe get myself F-Secure like what my old computer had. That was awesome, and had served me well.