Requirements to run this website.

edited March 2017 in Software
Hi,

I just thought of this, I wonder, what let's say Windows operating system and version of I.E would be required to run this website properly?

It doesn't seem to intensive, but at the same time I don't think I.E 5 could do it properly, maybe versions of firefox or opera that can work on say Windows 98/SE? Windows 2000?

Maybe administrators would be best fit to answer this question.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    You can download "KernelEx" and install it on your Win98/SE (Virtual)/Machine. After that you'll be able to install a much more modern browser like Firefox

I don't know if IE 5 or 6 can display this website properly but i'll try it out and i'll edit this post after i have the results :)
    EDIT: it doesn't work with IE 5 but i have trouble to open ANY website with IE 6. i dunno if it's my fault but it seems that your better off using kernelex
  • This website doesn't seem to be one of the more demanding ones. I'm writing this from the text-mode browse Links and it works more or less properly, so I guess most versions of IE should be fine as well :)
  • No idea about IE, but at the moment it mostly works in SeaMonkey 1.1.20pre/Firefox 2 (NT 3.51/95 or later).

It looks OK in Opera 10, but that is having increasing problems connecting to HTTPS sites - have to retry a dozen times or so.
  • You will need a browser capable of modern TLS -or at least, one that can connect to a proxy that can do it for you.
  • MrPortal wrote:
    You can download "KernelEx" and install it on your Win98/SE (Virtual)/Machine. After that you'll be able to install a much more modern browser like Firefox

I don't know if IE 5 or 6 can display this website properly but i'll try it out and i'll edit this post after i have the results :)
    EDIT: it doesn't work with IE 5 but i have trouble to open ANY website with IE 6. i dunno if it's my fault but it seems that your better off using kernelex

Yeah, my either late 1999 or 2000 Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 with a Pentium 3 @ 700mhz and Windows 98SE should arrive at my local post office on Thursday, I may just end up needing kernelex, if nothing else works.
  • I guess I will go ahead and use this chance to drop the fact that http://old.winworldpc.com is a thing. This is a read-only copy that does not offer any of the interactive features of the site. It will however, allow you to view content and download archives. It was based on a copy of the original theme with HTML5 oddities and Bootstrap CSS removed. It's not finished, it's not perfect, but it should operate without SSL on any HTTP 1.0 compliant browser, as old. has it's own dedicated IP.

I will eventually code in a check on winworldpc.com itself to automatically redirect over to old. if you don't have a supported browser, but that's something in and of itself to review for the best way to implement such.
  • stitch wrote:
    I guess I will go ahead and use this chance to drop the fact that http://old.winworldpc.com is a thing. This is a read-only copy that does not offer any of the interactive features of the site. It will however, allow you to view content and download archives. It was based on a copy of the original theme with HTML5 oddities and Bootstrap CSS removed. It's not finished, it's not perfect, but it should operate without SSL on any HTTP 1.0 compliant browser, as old. has it's own dedicated IP.

I will eventually code in a check on winworldpc.com itself to automatically redirect over to old. if you don't have a supported browser, but that's something in and of itself to review for the best way to implement such.

Wow i never knew about this "old" style website. Thanks for the info :3
    This way it's easier to get the files 'directly' from the server
  • You wouldn't have known about it because he only just now announced it. (I didn't know about it either :P )

And it should still do the IP check, so you still can't just WGET it. No different from the normal site.

This could be useful for people that want to download directly in to a Windows 3.1 or classic Mac environment, although the archives aren't really optimized for that.

Currently probably mainly useful for downloading to "tweener" Win9x systems where people can write floppies. There is a commandline version of 7-zip that runs on at least Windows 95, and supposedly FreeDOS has a DOS 386 version. I also make sure all archives open on the older Win95 GUI version of 7zip.
  • It doesn't seem to intensive, but at the same time I don't think I.E 5 could do it properly, maybe versions of firefox or opera that can work on say Windows 98/SE? Windows 2000?
    I haven't tested it on here personally, But if you need a browser other than IE5/6 on Win98/2k, I'd use Firefox versions 2.0.0.20 (on 98 w/o KernelEX), 3.6.28 (98 with KernelEX or 2k on low-end hardware), 10ESR (2k on semi-decent hardware w/o unofficial updates), or 45ESR (2k with unofficial XP-compatible updates), those Firefox versions should be able to browse this site fine, Otherwise, use the link found on stitch's post on whatever browser you're using on your older systems.
  • Now that I have the Toshiba 4600 online, I am really loving old.winworldpc.com

works great on IE 5 even.

Thanks,

Stitch