XP icons in Windows 2000?

edited February 2017 in Software
aC2Tccd.png
zvS3STN.png

This had been baffling me ever since I installed Windows 2000 under VirtualBox over a year ago. When I first observed these icons you would usually see in XP in the Control Panel and some areas of the Start Menu shown above, I didn't think it was much of a big deal but now, I want to know how that happened. A part of me says that the Unofficial SP5 that I obtained might have something to do with it. Could do another installation of Win2000 and see if the same quirk pops up again. It's just something I don't quite understand :?

Comments

• IE 6 added the Internet Options, and SP4 added the rest. Both were released after XP, so they share the icons.
  • I see... rather strange but. You would've thought there'd be icons for these features to actually match those of Win2000. That's just like Win7 having icons of 10 for example. At least I know why they're like this now. Thank you for clearing that up.
  • XP Service Pack 3 had a similar thing with some Vista icons, like the one for Remote Desktop. Sometimes they'd just get carried away, I suppose :P
  • They backport the feature as it is - there's no point in changing the aesthetic to match, when the system is going through maintenance cycles.
  • XP Service Pack 3 had a similar thing with some Vista icons, like the one for Remote Desktop. Sometimes they'd just get carried away, I suppose :P
    I kinda like what they were going for. Updated programs and features deserve updated icons.
    I had been using XP for years, and I have never noticed these. Better have a closer look the next time I boot up my XP VM...
  • I remember after updating Windows 98 to the last patch Tuesday and installing KernalEX, a similar thing would happen.