Windows 98 SE on Floppy - It exists!

edited February 2017 in Software
Sadly my eBay app didn't alert me when the auction was ending so I missed out and didn't have a chance to bid. :(

But see here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windo ... 2222248054

Note the copyright date of 1999 on these! That would be pretty indicative of Second Edition.
The part number is X04-03977 - Google turns up nothing, but the First Edition we have here has X03-69317, copyright 1998.

Now, I do note that you can only see the label details of the boot disk, and not the others. Is it possible he confused the boot disk at one point and actually has the boot disk from a 98SE CD version? (Though, I recall from my retail copy, the label on that one says "CD-ROM Setup Disk" and not Boot Disk...)

A slight red flag though is the fact that it has 38 disks, which is the same number as in the First Edition rip we have. I was under the impression that 98SE was a bit larger - but then again, comparing the floppy disks to a retail CD, the installation is smaller and less features are available due to it being on floppy disks, so maybe they stripped that one down as well.

Anyone else seen this? I would have loved to rip a copy for prosperity since 9x on floppy disks is pretty rare, but sadly I'm too late. I can only hope the winning bidder is also a member of these forums :lol:

Comments

• @drfsupercenter

Oops, I really didin't know another floppy version of Windows 98 SE(?) exists.
    At least Boot disk for Windows 98 First Edition floppy version is not for CD-ROM boot.

I bought floppy version of Win98FE with a good price and dumped disks by myself.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    I bought floppy version of Win98FE with a good price and dumped disks by myself.

Well, if you're the one who ripped them for the site, I must thank you for using the write-protect tab! Too many of the floppy disk rips on here, BetaArchive and elsewhere have corrupted OEM identifiers, since Windows 9x is notorious for changng it to 5 bytes of gibberish followed by "IHC"

I think almost all, if not all, of the Windows 95 rips have that corruption... and at least one of them has the "traitor tracing" bits set as well (you know, when you go to install and it asks for your name? If you don't have the disks write-protected, it writes that back to the disk and anyone else who tries to use them will get a nag screen saying it was already used by [whatever name you gave].

Just curious, did you buy a retail box? Or just the disks secondhand? I'd love to see what the box looked like - I've got a retail 98 CD-ROM, but obviously that lists a CD drive as a requirement and such. Never seen any retail packaging for floppy versions.

(The one on this site is in fact retail, I think I saw it called OEM somewhere but it's not - it takes retail serials and not OEM ones)
  • @drfsupercenter

Before I bought Win98FE Floppy version, same media version of it was already uploaded on another site.
    I compared it with each other.

Of course I bought it as Floppy diskette only, because it could be ordered by Microsoft Mail Order only. No possible to buy it via Retail market.)
    (I used to buy Retail Full Package of Windows 98 FE as sealed package.)