I need help with installing windows 1.02

edited February 2017 in Software
I'm pretty new to virtual machines, so i would really like some help. I do not use Vmware, so the tutorial on this website wasn't much help. I use virtualbox. I want to install windows 1.02. So i installed it, unzipped the file and then inside were 6 IMG files along with a readme. I'm used to operating systems having a single file to install them and i'm not sure how to install all 6 disks. Please give me a simple explanation on how to install it.

Comments

• We have a tutorial? Well, doing it in VirtualBox and VMWare is about the same:

First, grab a disk set of Windows 2.03 and extract the file MOUSE.DRV. Use that file to replace the one on your Windows 1.x disk set. If you don't then you won't get a mouse cursor because Windows 1.x does not support PS/2 mice and Virtualbox/VMWare don't emulate serial mice.

Next, install MS-DOS 6.22 (or 3.30 if you prefer - With DOS 3.3 command prompts will run in a Window, but that is the only difference).

Once installed, if you chose MS-DOS 6.22 then you must use the SETVER command to add an entry for "WIN100.BIN" to report "3.34". Otherwise Windows will crash at startup.

Then mount the first Windows 1.x image as the simulated A: drive. From DOS 6.22 inside Virtualbox, change to the A: drive and run SETUP.

Note that Windows 1.x setup MUST be run from drive A: (in this case the emulated floppy drive). If you instead chose to copy the files from each Windows 1.x disk in to a folder on the C: drive, then you would have to use the MS-DOS SUBST command to make that folder appear as if it were on drive A:.