Can I use an unlicensed Windows 10 VM forever?

edited February 2017 in Software
I am planning to install Windows 10 (32-bit to maximize speed) in VirtualBox. I have burnt a setup DVD with the media creation tool. The only thing is that I definitely DO NOT want to pay $120 just to have it in a VM. Will it still be usable if the trial expires or will MS just disable it until I feed a product key into it's cash-hungry digital mouth? Will deleting slui.exe (like I once did in a Win7 VM) or trying to enable unlimited slmgr.vbs trial rearms via a registry hack help? I really do not want to do something that will end me up labeled as a pirate/hacker/fraud person.
Best regards,
pcgeek

Comments

• I would not even suggest tampering with Win 10. MS gives you 30 days to validate your key. So you really can try before you buy. I can suggest a less expensive alternative to the $120: http://www.microsoftonlinestores.com/wi ... -c-22.html

The site is legitimate, the code will work, and the cost is about $38. You will have key and not have to worry about validation.
  • They won't disable it, ever since windows vista they won't do that, you just won't get all features like if its fully licensed, I don't remember what features you won't be getting since its not licensed
  • Source: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... progeneral
    ReginRavi wrote:
    When the 90 day evaluation period has concluded, you'll no longer be able to log on to Windows 10. You cannot reset it for additional time. It is therefore prudent to purchase and install a genuine retail edition of Windows 10

For the first 2 weeks after the expiration date it will nag you, on the 15th day it will refuse to boot. If it refuses to boot rearm will be of no use

Although, it's probably different for Home and Pro editions, and is more like
    If you fail to activate this evaluation after installation, or if your evaluation period expires, the desktop background will turn black, you will see a persistent desktop notification indicating that the system is not genuine, and the PC will shut down every hour.
  • Well, I will see. maybe keeping all the mumbo-jumbo on a separate VHD and just reinstalling the trial of Win10 every time it. I'm going to definitely avoiding any crap (such as those virus-stuffed activator programs). Since it is a VM, I will be able to mess around with Windows files to my heart's content. :)
    Any info on what files/settings would ring a bell at MS if I tampered with them? Should I disable the network link?
    I am only planning on spending money if I decide to replace my main OS (Win7 home premium) with Win10. In such a case, I will only have it ordered from the MS website ($120 is ok for daily-runner non-VM usage).

P.S. I used to have a Win7 VM that I hacked with a shady program full of trojans to fake an activation and actually started the download of the free Win10 upgrade for users who use assistive technology. I cut the download short, panicked and deleted the VM to remove evidence. ooopss....
    Definitely never do this...
    P.P.S. I hate piracy!
  • Guys this is a topic about bypassing software licensing restrictions. This is absolutely not allowed on WinWorld.

pcgeek: this is your last warning. One more inappropriate topic and your account will be terminated.

folder_lock.gif
This discussion has been closed.