Use modern Android phone as cellular USB data/fax modem?

edited February 2017 in Software
Hello and greetings,
Is what the title states, and if so, what means are needed to make it possible? The OS is Windows 2000.
-ET

Comments

• I don't know about acting like a fax modem, but some Android devices use tethering services to allow PCs to access internet. Some Androids can act as a Wi-Fi hotspot, I think Win2k can support wireless. Whether tethering works on Win2k is a mystery to me, though. The App Store has tethering apps if the service isn't built in. Some Androids, like the lobotomized TracFone I post from, don't support it at all.
  • I said data/fax because I have unlimited calling, but an anemic 512MB of data. It doesn't have tethering, and I don't feel like rooting it. Yes, Windows 2000 has support for Wireless.
  • eli573 wrote:
    I have an anemic 512MB of data.
    You're not going to get very far with only a half gig, no matter what method you use. Gotta upgrade that data plan!
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Gotta upgrade that data plan!
    Believe me, it is on my to do list. But still, can you use an Android phone as a cellular USB data/fax, preferably 56K, modem?
  • Nothing of interest in the App Store, and the only topics Google brings up are about dial-up modem noises and receiving faxes. I know nothing more. Sorry.
  • eli573 wrote:
    Hello and greetings,
    Is what the title states, and if so, what means are needed to make it possible? The OS is Windows 2000.
    -ET
    I know exactly how you feel I tried for four years trying to get an android device to act like a dial /modem but no success. I am running a PC with windows 2000 with internet connectivity by using an ethernet cable to an old laptop with ubuntu with to tether to the old machine and that works better than anything I have tried to use instead
  • I don't think you'd have much luck getting it to work as a modem over USB directly.

You can tether over USB, I do it all the time, but that uses my 4G data connection... not voice.

I wonder if you might be able to get it to work by rigging up an acoustic coupler.

Of course the main question is, "why?" because it would be entirely useless unless this is a "because I can" kind of thing and you just want to see if you can get it working. I mean 56K was intolerably slow 13 years ago and it has only gotten worse... these days, 1 Mbps is intolerable.
  • The cell network IIRC compresses voice to shit. You'd get 300 baud, if what I remember from others experience is true. Maybe it'd be better with VoLTE, but still... why?
  • I remember I actually did get a makeshift acoustic coupler to work with a Nokia 3220 and a 14.4k PCMCIA modem, but I doubt that any of the hardware I used back then still exists. Yes, I got a working connection. Yeah, tethering is an option, but it is not practical with 512MB and EDGE. At least I've got unlimited minutes. This plan is terrible. Also, the average modern Android would be capable of dial up data transfer of ~2400 b (not B) /s. Still somewhat usable with Lynx. Lynx was likely all I was going to use anyway.