It's 2017 and over 9% of people use Windows XP!?

2»

Comments

• If the insanely high percentage of XP usage was bad enough, get some of this... apparently, computers used by the UK's NHS and London Metropolitan Police still hang on to it, despite the risks. Well, said risks have already put the NHS into deep trouble when recently, the WannaCry ransomware attack occurred. Their fault really.

So nevermind home users hanging onto an ancient OS, businesses also. Come on, it shouldn't be hard to upgrade your shit with something newer and for it to receive updates or even better, switching to Linux which costs you nothing.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    If the insanely high percentage of XP usage was bad enough, get some of this... apparently, computers used by the UK's NHS and London Metropolitan Police still hang on to it, despite the risks. Well, said risks have already put the NHS into deep trouble when recently, the WannaCry ransomware attack occurred. Their fault really.

So nevermind home users hanging onto an ancient OS, businesses also. Come on, it shouldn't be hard to upgrade your shit with something newer and for it to receive updates or even better, switching to Linux which costs you nothing.

The problem is that they have to deal with regulatory crap. Patches have to be tested before they can be deployed which often delays getting required patches to critical systems. They're probably still running XP because they haven't finished testing their applications on newer platforms.

As far as running Linux? Not bloody likely. The companies writing the software they rely on usually don't have Linux even remotely on their radar.
  • I'd think it's worse than XP. There's bound to be some hideous custom software clusterfucks running old MRI machines or X-ray machines that probably run on some bizarre hacked up version of 98 hanging around.

My dad used to work telecoms in a hospital ~15 years ago and there were voicemail systems still running DOS 5.
  • Meh, my local volvo dealer happens to use Windows 7.
    Or at least it's installed native on their machines. They just use a remote session to get all their work done, on Xp. In fact, almost all the local car dealerships BMW, VW and whatnot do the same.

The hoops businesses will jump through.

Worst I've seen personally yet was a *networked* ATM machine that happened to be running NT4.
    Someone managed to log it out and it was proudly showing the NT splash and login prompt.
  • I had a spare Xp disk lying around, so I decided to downgrade my windows 7 laptop. I still have Windows 10 on my PC, but XP works like an absolute charm on newer computers. And, with the right Antivirus and with Adblock, It shouldn't get viruses.
  • I wouldn't be so sure of that... even if your XP system is fully updated with the latest batch of updates before support was cut, and of using an appropriate antivirus, you'll still be putting yourself at risk. Mind I ask what antivirus you're using?
  • Bry89 wrote:
    you'll still be putting yourself at risk.
    Oh, so running the absolute latest and greatest has absolutely 0.00000000000000000% risk? (bzzzt, no)
  • Apparently due to the whole WannaCrypt situation, the market share went down from 7% to 5% rather quickly.
  • ATM machine.
    sorry, im still in school, an EVERYONE drive me NUTS about stuff like that. Sorry.
    ANYWAYS...
    https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/0 ... so-widely/
    ALSO, my mom got a trillion (like, 5, really.) device McAffe subcription...
    ALSO, what i said 'bout software, is why i don't use unix/linux/whateveritsisnowix.
    And my win 7 discs i bought in '11 don't work, my 10 year (then 4 or so...) bro. took them out of the case and scratched them to all heckbefore i got to use 'em.
  • While we're on the subject of places that are still using XP, I know an eye clinic who still uses Windows XP on one of their computers for eye scanning, the reason why is because the cameras they use don't have drivers for anything beyond XP and they stick to the "if it's not broken, don't fix it!" motto in the regard that the only way they'll ditch XP is when the eye scanner needs to be replaced, luckily that system is behind a firewall (I told them about WannaCrypt BTW) and it's the only XP system they have, every other computer in there is running Windows 7 and 10.
  • I'm using Windows 7, and I won't give it up until I have to.

I am guessing that's how a lot of people feel about Windows XP.
  • I commented on this thread back in Feb. I just moved my main laptop off of XP to Linux Mint and I love it...

However, I'm still stuck with XP on my Dell Latitude D630. I've tried both Windows 7 and linux and neither of them ran very well on it. The main issue is drivers. Dell never updated them to work with Win 7, and using the Vista drivers made it buggy. I suspect this is a reason there are still many computers with XP. I mainly use that Dell for light Internet surfing, and it's got more than enough power for that. So there are three options I have: Outdated but stable, up-to-date but buggy, or throw a perfectly good piece of equipment in the trash.

P.S. Microsoft recently patched XP for Wannacrypt and the other NSA tools. I promptly updated my XP systems and VMs.
  • nick99nack wrote:
    I commented on this thread back in Feb. I just moved my main laptop off of XP to Linux Mint and I love it...

However, I'm still stuck with XP on my Dell Latitude D630. I've tried both Windows 7 and linux and neither of them ran very well on it. The main issue is drivers. Dell never updated them to work with Win 7, and using the Vista drivers made it buggy. I suspect this is a reason there are still many computers with XP. I mainly use that Dell for light Internet surfing, and it's got more than enough power for that. So there are three options I have: Outdated but stable, up-to-date but buggy, or throw a perfectly good piece of equipment in the trash.

P.S. Microsoft recently patched XP for Wannacrypt and the other NSA tools. I promptly updated my XP systems and VMs.

Uhhh......

I've owned 2 working D630s (And another one with a bad motherboard), a D620, and a D531. All ran GREAT on Win7. Except for the D531 which needed video drivers, they all got all of the drivers detected out of the box and I didn't have to install anything. Do you have 2GB RAM in your Latitude D630? For like 20 dollars you can get 4GB for it and then it'll run 7 great.
  • I still use XP, 'cause i can't afford newer hardware or software.i also don't have almost any of my program discs,floppys,ect.So unless someone would like to give me a brand new windows 10 laptop with office 2016,i CANT use a new OS.

You can install Windows 10 using the key from that 7 disk that you mentioned elsewhere in the thread. As far as program disks - what programs are you using? It probably would not be hard to find the installer files, and you can install a piece of software that will retrieve all of the product keys (I can't remember the name of it, you'll have to look that up)
  • 66659hi wrote:
    Uhhh......

I've owned 2 working D630s (And another one with a bad motherboard), a D620, and a D531. All ran GREAT on Win7. Except for the D531 which needed video drivers, they all got all of the drivers detected out of the box and I didn't have to install anything. Do you have 2GB RAM in your Latitude D630? For like 20 dollars you can get 4GB for it and then it'll run 7 great.

Mine has 4GB of RAM. It's been a while since I tried it, but I seem to remember having trouble with USB and something else that I can't think of now. IIRC, it used some generic drivers for the USB controller that didn't play well with my DAC.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare hard drive lying around. Maybe I'll pop it in and try Win 7 again sometime.
  • It'd be worthwhile to get off XP - you'd be more secure, more program support, among other advantages.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I've owned 2 working D630s (And another one with a bad motherboard), a D620, and a D531. All ran GREAT on Win7.
    I disagree on the D630 running 7 well. I use one to hold my backups. 7 lagged along, XP worked okay, but 2000 really got to it when you wanted something done.

Anyway, my point is to get off the XP era hardware, guys. Since XP is falling from use, the same needs to happen with it's old and obsolete hardware that doesn't play well with newer OSes. You can find better stuff than that old Latitude for free in garbage dumpsters. Just be patient and keep your eyes open.
    66659hi wrote:
    you can install a piece of software that will retrieve all of the product keys (I can't remember the name of it, you'll have to look that up)
    I think the most popular one is Magical Jellybean, but I've never tried it. The one I use is called Belarc Advisor.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    I've owned 2 working D630s (And another one with a bad motherboard), a D620, and a D531. All ran GREAT on Win7.
    I disagree on the D630 running 7 well. I use one to hold my backups. 7 lagged along, XP worked okay, but 2000 really got to it when you wanted something done.

Anyway, my point is to get off the XP era hardware, guys. Since XP is falling from use, the same needs to happen with it's old and obsolete hardware that doesn't play well with newer OSes. You can find better stuff than that old Latitude for free in garbage dumpsters. Just be patient and keep your eyes open.
    66659hi wrote:
    you can install a piece of software that will retrieve all of the product keys (I can't remember the name of it, you'll have to look that up)
    I think the most popular one is Magical Jellybean, but I've never tried it. The one I use is called Belarc Advisor.

Most places won't let you take stuff from garbage dumpsters and might even arrest you if you go dumpster diving. Win2k on a Core 2 Duo? That's just a waste of hardware. I don't know where you got the "7 Lagged Along" part from - my dad's main laptop is a Latitude D620 with a Core 2 Duo running Win7, it runs Win7 really well. Remember, 7 is only 2 years newer than the Latitude D630, the hardware is 100000% capable of 7.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    Most places won't let you take stuff from garbage dumpsters and might even arrest you if you go dumpster diving.
    While I meant that mostly as an expression, a lot of places (at least around here) don't really care. Plus, there are other ways of finding stuff. If you have a friend who works with computers, when they upgrade you might get some "new" hardware on the cheap. I've also taken advantage of a small business closing down to get free systems.
    66559hi wrote:
    Win2k on a Core 2 Duo? That's just a waste of hardware.
    That's your opinion. It runs faster with 2k, less of my precious little disk space is taken up by the OS, all integrated devices (except for the wireless adapter I never use) are supported, and it does everything I need it to.
    66659hi wrote:
    I don't know where you got the "7 Lagged Along"
    Experience. Win7 and my Latitude D630 are a bad combination.
    66659hi wrote:
    Remember, 7 is only 2 years newer than the Latitude D630
    The age difference doesn't matter at all. My Latitude doesn't play well with Win7, end of story.

The fact that this model officially supports an OS as old as Windows 2000 just goes to show how close to obsolescence it really is.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I still use XP, 'cause i can't afford newer hardware or software.i also don't have almost any of my program discs,floppys,ect.So unless someone would like to give me a brand new windows 10 laptop with office 2016,i CANT use a new OS.

You can install Windows 10 using the key from that 7 disk that you mentioned elsewhere in the thread. As far as program disks - what programs are you using? It probably would not be hard to find the installer files, and you can install a piece of software that will retrieve all of the product keys (I can't remember the name of it, you'll have to look that up)

hmm.....
    But my computer (Toshiba A105-s2236) doesn't have even the minimum reqirements for 10, or even (the sucky) 8 for that matter.
    And as for programs,its office 2007, Carmen sandeigo, adobe illustrator,photoshop, acrobat (full, not just reader.), ECT.
    (P.S the product key thing is a legal (Dark) grey area)
  • If you own the software then it's fine to retrieve your product key. Microsoft's not gonna come running and knock down your door.
  • In the case of newer computers, the only way you can retrieve the product key that came with the machine is through software to pull it from the BIOS. I usually use Produkey: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_c ... iewer.html

You can also use powershell for that:
    (get-wmiobject -query 'select OA3xOriginalProductKey from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

• That it supports 2k does not mean it's close to obsolescence, It's not going to be obsolete for a good long while because there are tons of Celeron computers out there newer that software has to keep supporting.

I don't know how it lagged along, I've put Win7 onto the Latitude D630s I've had and it ran great. It must be something specific to your one D630
  • Good God, I'm poor as fck and even I don't use anything as low-end as Celeron. Biggest reasons I said D630's time is almost over is partially because of my problems with it, most modern systems don't support an OS that old and the fact that the oldest ones I've found had XP installed from the factory. Aging systems don't typically stand up to the newer software, and that line is at least 10 years old now. Yes, Win7 came out a few years after that particular model, but with each major update, the system requirements rise just a hair. That can add up. The rule of thumb is to run the OS that it was designed for, and it was made for XP. 7 doesn't work for me, that's that.

This thread has gotten so off track it's not even funny, this discussion over a stupid laptop is over.
    BlueSun wrote:
    In the case of newer computers, the only way you can retrieve the product key that came with the machine is through software to pull it from the BIOS. I usually use Produkey
    Have they really gone so far as to move the Product Key out of the Registry and into the SLIC only?
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I don't know how it lagged along, I've put Win7 onto the Latitude D630s I've had and it ran great. It must be something specific to your one D630

This. Dell released the D630 in a number of configurations, and I think that's why some can run 7 fine and some don't. I actually tested Win2K on this model one time and it was practically unusable, yet BigCJ says it runs fine on his. Mine has a "Made for Vista" sticker on it, but I hated Vista when it came out, so I stuck with XP. Program compatibility (at least for what I use it for) was nearly the same anyway.
  • The D630 came out AFTER Vista. The ones that say "designed for XP" were ORDERED WITH XP. The D630 was only shipped with Core 2 Duos and any Core 2 Duo that isn't an ultra low voltage model will run 7 fine, I know this from experience.

Any configuration D630 will run 7 great, as long as you have more than 2GB RAM - which is a cheap and easy upgrade. You can't end a discussion by just saying "this discussion is over". That's not how the world works.
  • AyAyAyAyAyAy!
    Well, my mom is gonna give me her dell inspiron 15, with a 1.9 ghz i3 and 6 GIGABYTES OF RAM (runs minecraft like its a old youtube video!)
    with the strange, new-to-me windows 10, so im gonna be getting an upgrade soon! (P.S. found office 2007 disc.YAY!)
  • http://news.softpedia.com/news/what-wannacry-infection-16-year-old-windows-xp-posts-record-growth-last-month-516786.shtml
    NetMarketShare data reveals that Windows XP improved its share from 5.66 percent to 6.94 percent last month, becoming the third most used desktop operating system worldwide, after Windows 7 and Windows 10. Windows 8.1 is very close with 6.40 percent, and unless a major decline is experienced by Windows XP, there’s a good chance these rankings won’t change the next month.

Just why? Who the fuck is installing windows XP?
  • I'm not sure that actually means that more people installed XP. I'd have to do more research into how they collect their data, but I'm pretty sure it just comes from user agents recorded by participating sites, so it's possible that those sites simply saw declined usage from people running those OS's and recently that usage has picked up again. But the actual installs probably haven't changed much.
  • Interesting thread particularly for a site hosting abandonware. So OK, I run XP mainly on a machine because it supports old scanners and it's hardware doesn't run W7 well at all. The machine is an older multi-cpu AMD that really does a quite decent job on many tasks. Am I taking a risk? Sure, so is everybody running anything depending on where you visit and if you practice safe hex. I'm patched against WannaCry and run Vipre firewall/AV. I have been hit once over the years from a dumb move I made and it took awhile to dig out. I installed XP back in 2007 and have never re-installed. I keep a tidy house on the box.

I'm in the market for a new box and will use W7 preferentially over 10, if I can. Cleaning W10 into behaving like a proper OS takes time and effort. In any case, I dread digging up all the software I like to use and re-installing it. I know it will take hours over several days and dread thinking about it. Each OS upgrade always requires learning new stuff because M$ programmers always have a better way. Frankly Word 2 was the last version I liked because it didn't help as much when preparing complex documents.

If only all my software was OK with Wine and if drivers existed for old hardware that still functions. As it is, my portables use Win7 and Win10 and one machine is running Ubuntu longterm release. Interesting how networking all the stuff isn't plug and go, but should.

Frankly at this point it could be that W98 would be OK because nobody uses it anymore. But that is an OS that needed re-installation regularly when that idiot M$ invention of a registry made life difficult. My last Thinkpad running 98 is beginning to fade away.