Windows update issues

edited February 2017 in Software
Hello and greetings,
I've been having issues with Windows Update in Windows 2000. I am using the guide by Terabyte Coyote, which involves updating Windows 2000 to the latest update, and it is linked here, as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDXtJqdcKM . I was at the windows update step, and windows update gave me an undefined error, with the code being 0x800B0109 . Any response is helpful.
NOTE/POSTSCRIPT: The computer I am using is to test this, it is for experimentation, and not for everyday use. This is a proof of concept, and if this actually does work, I might use the laptop to carry it around without fear of theft. Again, any response [other than the sentence "Why?"] is helpful.
-ET

Comments

• I remember it being a chore to get windows updates to work correctly for 2k also. I think I had to keep searching for different root certificate updates until it worked. I did it all in a VM so I could have a clean and up to date install that I could dump onto real hardware if the need ever arose.

Do you have automatic updates turned on? I've seen instances where that worked but the web page didn't.

I dug a bit and found my 2k update folder and it contains the following files:
    BITS-KB842773-x86-ENU.EXE
    Windows2000-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE
    Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE
    WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe
    WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    A rootsupd.exe with the following sha-1 hash A153023B66D29034420AA227CCC2164CFF75229E
    And a batch file that registers many windows components.

When I'm home and able I can try this combo out in a fresh install of 2k and see what results I have. I'm sure IE6SP1 was also installed ahead of time.

I'm also curious about the 2k VM we have here on WinWorld, wonder if it contains updates or not. Depending on your hardware it may not be too much labor to dump a ready to go VM onto the hard drive.
  • I remember it being a chore to get windows updates to work correctly for 2k also. I think I had to keep searching for different root certificate updates until it worked. I did it all in a VM so I could have a clean and up to date install that I could dump onto real hardware if the need ever arose.

Do you have automatic updates turned on? I've seen instances where that worked but the web page didn't.

I dug a bit and found my 2k update folder and it contains the following files:
    BITS-KB842773-x86-ENU.EXE
    Windows2000-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE
    Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE
    WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe
    WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    A rootsupd.exe with the following sha-1 hash A153023B66D29034420AA227CCC2164CFF75229E
    And a batch file that registers many windows components.

When I'm home and able I can try this combo out in a fresh install of 2k and see what results I have. I'm sure IE6SP1 was also installed ahead of time.

I'm also curious about the 2k VM we have here on WinWorld, wonder if it contains updates or not. Depending on your hardware it may not be too much labor to dump a ready to go VM onto the hard drive.
    Thank you, the Automatic updates program was acting up, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I've installed IE6SP1, it's the one made for AOL, right? I've installed Update Agent 3.0 already, but the rest is not installed. At least I got Firefox 12 working, and was able to post this on the test computer. I might try the VM, but my system uses SATA, and the proof of concept test I've been preforming was on IDE (compatibility mode,) which I've decided to try to slipstream some SATA 1/2 drivers onto my Windows 2000 CD, but for now IDE compatibility mode will do. It's amazing that something made for Windows XP that is badged as Windows Vista capable runs both XP and Vista at sluggish speeds, but so far has been running Windows 2000 like a dream, always keeping RAM usage under 512MB, where XP and Vista were always over 512MB while idling. It's all in the name of science, the laptop is likely not ever going to do more than basic web browsing and Unreal Tournament 2K4, so, I kindly request that someone doesn't just reply "Why?" or "Are you stupid?" But, I digress, I'll try to see if I can find the rest of those executables, and see how that goes. Still, keep me updated on how the 2K fresh install works out.
    -ET
  • Well it certainly seems like things have been changed / broken since I last updated 2k. Both my up to date previously working VM and a fresh one give error 0x80072EFF. The old VM is set to Microsoft Update and the new VM is still set to Windows Update. I tried installing some hotfixes that are supposed to fix this specific error and they didn't have any effect either....
  • I got it to work! It turns out I needed to get a rootsupdate executable, which I had forgotten about. You also need to edit two settings in IE, but I don't remember which ones. Again, see the link that I posted for more info on what I did. Posted on Firefox 45.0.1 on Windows 2K SP4.
  • eli573 wrote:
    I got it to work! It turns out I needed to get a rootsupdate executable, which I had forgotten about. You also need to edit two settings in IE, but I don't remember which ones. Again, see the link that I posted for more info on what I did. Posted on Firefox 45.0.1 on Windows 2K SP4.

Take it from years of experience... document the shit out of fixes. If you fix something, especially if it took any longer than 5 minutes, document the fix for it so you can reference it later. You'll thank me and yourself later.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    eli573 wrote:
    I got it to work! It turns out I needed to get a rootsupdate executable, which I had forgotten about. You also need to edit two settings in IE, but I don't remember which ones. Again, see the link that I posted for more info on what I did. Posted on Firefox 45.0.1 on Windows 2K SP4.

Take it from years of experience... document the shit out of fixes. If you fix something, especially if it took any longer than 5 minutes, document the fix for it so you can reference it later. You'll thank me and yourself later.
    That is a good tip, but no need in this case. It was already in the video tutorial I looked up for Blackwingcat's Windows 2000 compatibility layer, I just overlooked the fix. Now I know to go to the hotlink I already posted on this forum for further reference, and for anyone else with the same issue to go to that video. Go to control panel>Internet options>advanced> Uncheck automatically check for IE updates and check TLS 1.0. From there, use the root update and any other official/unofficial update .EXEs.
  • Yeah it looks like as soon as I turned on TLS 1.0 in IE my machines started working fine, must be some mixed content on the page that was previously SSL.

I've gone ahead and retested and whittled down the updates to just the bare minimum ones referenced in that video and everything seems fine.
  • eli573 wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    eli573 wrote:

That is a good tip, but no need in this case. It was already in the video tutorial I looked up for Blackwingcat's Windows 2000 compatibility layer, I just overlooked the fix. Now I know to go to the hotlink I already posted on this forum for further reference, and for anyone else with the same issue to go to that video. Go to control panel>Internet options>advanced> Uncheck automatically check for IE updates and check TLS 1.0. From there, use the root update and any other official/unofficial update .EXEs.

What I mean is, make your own documentation... can't always rely on a video or site being available.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    can't always rely on a video or site being available.
    I guess you are right.