If you made a Linux distro...

edited January 2017 in Software
Out of the thousands of Linux distros out there, just supposing you had some programming and design skills and made one yourself, for whatever reason or purpose whether its for heightened security or give the end-user a fresh new desktop experience and most of all, what it would be forked from, unless made entirely from scratch but still using the Linux kernel underneath.

For me, I would create one that would capture the essence of the early OS X era, namely Leopard where it had played a large part in my college life and loved how it looked, and it would have the dock like it too, pretty much like Deepin Desktop. While the desktop experience would be like OS X, it would have some elements of Windows too, such as the "tabbed taskbar" seen in a very early Chicago build. This particular distro would be called "Satsuma", as in the type of orange itself (in relation to Pear OS, also OS X-inspired). For its basis, it could be forked from Ubuntu, or Debian.

I also have another ideal where it would be quite minimalistic where the end-user would be greeted with just a right-triangle bit at the corner of the screen where one part of it would pop up a menu of some apps and the other part drag out other apps for settings and such. It might not be practical in a way but, just a thought, that was actually with me since three years ago.

Any ideas you have in mind of what you would do for a Linux distro, whether simple or advanced, feel free to share your ideas here.

Comments

• you don't even need programming skills to make a linux distro, thanks to SUSE studio. i remember using it back in like 2012
  • Making a good product. That's what people don't get, you don't sell ideology, you sell an ecosystem. Android and ChromeOS didn't get popular because they used Linux, they sold because they offer things people want. Linux is just an implementation detail. (And I doubt you'd have too many people comfortable calling either GNU/Linux...)
  • I would base it on fedora, but stuff in multiple different Windows-style UIs and a gazillion features. I would try and make the ultimate OS. Also, another thing worth adding is some Windows NT compatibility (think ReactOS and Wine).
  • I would base it on openSUSE and use btrfs as the default filesystem. I would incorporate yast, but change the package manager to pacman from Arch Linux. The default display manager would be lightdm with the pantheon theme from Elementary OS. The default desktop environment would also be pantheon. It would be a rolling release operating system.
  • I'm going to go full out with this:

Server OS:
    For a server based OS, I would have it be based off of Solaris/ illumos, for the package manager it would have to be apt-get instead of the stupid pkg package manager. As well as built in package manager for openCSW Boot manager would be grub2, I would also stick with the standard ZFS file system, as it is powerful when used correctly. I would like to use something close to Ubuntu's implementation of Containers instead of the default Solaris Zones. For a Window/Desktop manager there will be none.

Desktop OS:
    I'm probably going to get some crap for this, but I would like to have something ubuntu based or Fedora. I know for a fact that there is all ready enough ubuntu based stuff out there, but it would be nice to have something that isn't as slow moving as debian. For file system I would still stick with ZFS or btrfs, grub2 as boot loader. For window manager, something different but similar to Windows tabs having tabs. I'm thinking more along the lines of Treewm, in which Windows can have Windows inside one another. As well as having the option to install IceWM.

That's my custom OS.
  • If I made a linux distro, I would base mine on Slackware.