Windows 95 audio problem

edited January 2017 in Software
So I have Conexant CX20468-21 AC97 audio(that's what I found out after looking online, Conexant AC-Link Audio) in my Windows 95 OSR2 Compaq M2000. However the driver for audio for the driver errors, and when I tried to install the driver via Device Manager, the "Finish" button didn't do anything(it didn't even close the window), so if someone can help me get a driver for this device on Windows 95? Or show me how to manually install them(the inf and the sys and dll files) to the laptop? Thanks

Comments

• have you tried to right-click on the .inf file and hit install? that sometimes works, although i'm not sure if it's for newer versions of Windows.
  • Has the card been working recently? If reinstalling Windows and the driver don't work, you may have faulty hardware. Try finding another installer (for the driver) from the internet. Other than that, I don't know what else to do, sorry if it doesn't help.
    have you tried to right-click on the .inf file and hit install? that sometimes works, although i'm not sure if it's for newer versions of Windows.
    Yeah, .inf files install things on Win95, most of the PowerToys have to be installed that way.
  • have you tried to right-click on the .inf file and hit install? that sometimes works, although i'm not sure if it's for newer versions of Windows.
    yes, I tried that. Nothing happened
  • try in devices manager to update the sound card driver.

or else, delete the sound card and search for hardware changes, if you've installed the inf file as said above, it should detect the sound card again and assign the correct driver now.