vetusware.com got dumped from google?

edited January 2017 in Software
I hate to mention them here, but it seems like this last week all search results from Vetusware have disappeared from google searches. Searching for things that are specifically on there, or doing a "site:vetusware.com something" type search returns nothing. But they are still up and other search engines seem OK. It isn't just me is it?

Of course, they are a trash dump, but on occasions they are a useful trash dump.

The only reason I mention it is that this demonstrates the power the Google has. Of course it is unlikely anything like that would happen to Winworld... as there are actual people at the helm here.

Comments

• So that's what is going on. I usually use google to search for stuff on sites like so:

---> 3DS MAX site:www.vetusware.com <--- only I got nothing this week.

Say, you are making me feel bad about that site: I've upped quite a few softs there.

I figure each site has its unique qualities whether its here at Winwolrd, archive.org, abandonia, old.dos.ru, etc.

On a related note: I use Chrome alot, I mean A LOT.

They've changed their "safe surfing" or WTF it s called. In the last week alone, 20, maybe 30 files were blocked from downloading that I KNOW were clean.

On the one hand, I like when they have pretested a site. On the other, it its frustrating when the only criteria the lobotomized browser uses is that the file is named "patch.exe", or has an unusual name.
  • "safe surfing"? Safe for corporate wallets, that is.

And yet Google's search results still return crap spam and aggregator sites for most obscure search terms.
  • I don't use Google. I get results just fine if I use ixquick.eu
  • While no one search engine does it all - the simple truth is that Google hands down has more sites, search words and related terms indexed than any other.

Then there's the ftp engines like filewatcher.com, ftplike.com, filemare.com, mmnt.ru, etc.
  • This is the thing Chrome recently started doing that has me ready to dump it:

nanny_chrome.jpg
  • I know it's not to everyone's tastes but I generally prefer Firefox, as it's not a multinational corporation with a hidden agenda. Or so it seems if I'm being cynical.
    I just don't both with add-ons given the rapid release cycles, as there's no guarantee that the add-on will work in future versions and/or the original developer decides to update it.

I used Vetusware more frequently in the earlier days when I became interested in running emulators and so forth. Neverthless I much prefer WinWorld and the emphasis on having original ISO and disk images, otherwise I might look to find it on eBay depending on the price and cash flow.

Just then I searched Vetusware via Firefox through Google Australia's website and the main Vetusware.org site came up fifth in the results. Are you sure it just hasn't had a domain change albeit looks a lot different to the old site?
  • No, Vetusware.org only hosts their ghost town of a forum.

The main site is still http://vetusware.com/ and that is what is not showing up in the searches.

Now, I did notice they added an alternate domain a while back: http://vetusabandonware.com/ which points to the same IP address as vetusware.com. And some low-ranking google results actually turn up for that one.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if that is at least part of what google is getting mad about. Having multiple domains without a redirect is just asking for search engine problems.
  • Google - starting to make me feel like we're being controlled by "The Machine" (as he reaches behind his neck to unplug the cortex cable).

Ah, the gold old days, when all we had was Altavista...

Well, anyway, I still intend to upload stuff to Vetusware - it's the perfect "inbetween site" for places like Winworld on one extreme, and the bottom of the heap torrent sites like Demonoid & TPB.

(Got to help unravel the first Intel MAC OSX - couldn't have known about it if I hadn't been a regular at the Green Demon).
  • LOL, Google SafeSearch? That crap blocked oldapps.com even though EVERYTHING there is safe.
  • sl1fka wrote:
    LOL, Google SafeSearch? That crap blocked oldapps.com even though EVERYTHING there is safe.
    Firefox has done the same too, along with Brothersoft. Don't know if that site is to be trusted though, even SourceForge from what everyone's been saying about that.
  • Sorceforge briefly dallied with loading the downloads. The yhave abandoned that practice.

There are no "safe sites". Just go with that and avoid stigmatizing a site or downloads because your crappy OS/Antivirus/browser is too lazy to actually identify whether something is in fact B A D.

I mean, for how many years had people referred to Internet Exploder as a malware in itself?
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    There are no "safe sites". Just go with that and avoid stigmatizing a site or downloads because your crappy OS/Antivirus/browser is too lazy to actually identify whether something is in fact B A D.
    Well, Ninite seems the only safe one out there, as far as I know.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    No, Vetusware.org only hosts their ghost town of a forum.
    I went there just now and that jackass DallasCHVN is listed as a mod. How the Hell did that happen?
  • I dunno who that person is. Is this a mod on the forum? (which appears lifeless)

EDIT: Never mind. I just googled the nym and found more than I wanted to.

viewtopic.php?t=7998

He's probably married to his cat.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    I dunno who that person is. Is this a mod on the forum? (which appears lifeless)

EDIT: Never mind. I just googled the nym and found more than I wanted to.

viewtopic.php?t=7998

You are not authorised to read this forum.

... Um ok
  • Looks like that thread was moved to the private VIP forum.

I noticed Vetusware has a "bad news" alert up right now about the google problem.... and they seem to have broken uploading in the process.
    02k-guy wrote:
    Actually it was his guinea pig.
  • I just uploaded to vetusware. Will check to see if it shows up.
  • Yea, it's working now and that "bad news" alert is gone. I suspect they were throwing an actual error somewhere to generate that, and the upload form was interpreting it as an error involving the upload.
  • I don't see what I uploaded there yet (Photosyler 2.0). Usually shows up right away.

If it doesn't, I'll send whatizname an email.
  • I do believe "the issue has been resolved for all involved parties":

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... usware.com

And I did the email thing, and yes my most recent upload is there.

In the same page as the SE version, but its there.

There's plusses and minuses to every site. That's the minus: not much sorting or validating. Depends almostentirely on the user base and comment feedback (which isn't all bad).