AutoCAD roots - Generic CADD

edited December 2016 in Software
I don't recall if I knew about AutoCAD when I switched from the Tandy CoCo to the IBM PC.
What I do remember is, I stopped into a pawn shop, looking to buy tools (I was just starting out as a home builder), and they had two desktop PCs - one a Sanyo with that faster Japanese chip ( I forget what its called "V somethng"), and a "generci". Bought 'em both. Talked my cabinet maker into buying the better Sanyo "slightl marked up in price" - which meant I got mine for basically free.

I read endlessly about CAD and bought a product called Generic CADD. It was wonderful. Had good access to the developers, they sent updates and letters via real mail (This was the early 80s people!).

Then the bad news: Generic CADD sold out to AutoCAD !.

Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Then somehow, Generic CADD came back. I cannot remember the details, but basically, Autodesk only ever wanted the incredible menu/key-combo system that made Generic CADD so amazing, and the original Devs were allowed to go back into business with a new, very similar product.

Anyway: By that time, I'd talked my cabinet maker into buying my Generic CADD license, he became a CAD guru, and I was so happy, because I have no talent beyond sketching on a napkin or scap of two by four - which was good enough to get things started in my world - beyond that let the "pros" handle it.

So: When you run an early version of AutoCad and see that bar at the bottom where you enter commands - thank Generic CADD for selling out.

For me. the knuckle dragging builder, CAD did some neat things: You could point to an angle - and it would tell you what it was.

Draw some lines. Give them a specific length - draw another to connect them - and then point to it - Generic CADD would tell you how long that line was! This was something that there was no way for one to know unless they were in the field and actually building it - this "virtual world" was of Gobsmack importance to me!