Liquid Motion Pro (c) DimensionX Inc, then Microsoft

edited December 2016 in Software
Microsoft and it's lacky Symantec are most infamous for the "Embrace, extend, extinquish" method of market domination.

Remember when Java was going to take over the world?

We had everybody selling Java Coders: Symantec Cafe, IBM Visual Age, Borland JBuilder...Microsoft finally got J++ off the ground about the time the fad was fading.
Briefly, Microsoft offered Liquid Motion. They went to a small little company called "DimensionX" and made the deal to use the coding.
I have in fact "Liquid Motion 1.1" by DimensionX, and the later Microsoft Liquid Motion 1.0.
There is very little to find about it - almost as if Microsoft told Google to scrub all history of it - just kidding.
I found a neat PDF from some perfesser talking about the merits of the various Java platforms of the time. He said:
Liquid Motion Pro
Liquid Motion Pro was developed by a small company called DimensionX as a way of creating Java-based multimedia content. The software would allow visual authoring of content in a style similar to Director, and would generate a Java applet as the final product. This is Liquid Motion Pro's large advantage over Shockwave, in that its content could be viewed in any Java-enabled Web browser. The one drawback is that each applet generated by Liquid Motion Pro requires a proprietary Java based runtime engine in order to run, increasing applet download times. This situation may soon be fixed because Microsoft recently acquired DimensionX and will be incorporating Liquid Motion Pro into its DirectX set of media libraries. While Windows users will benefit, this move does not alleviate the problem for the rest of the Java platforms.

See: that's what Microsoft was gunning for - a "proprietary runtime" - which would give them "friendly dictator" control over the new technology.

I went to http://www.archive.org and luckily they had a page saved from 1996 - this is all it showed:

dimension_X_Liquid_Motion.png

So, if there's a copy of Internet Explorer Starter Kit v3.0 floating around, Liquid Motion should be part of the package.