Bad description of download

edited June 2016 in Software
i was trying to install Windows 95 on an old computer, and i downloaded the Windows 95 RTM spanish.
Windows 95 [Spanish] RTM 34.56 MB Spanish x86-32 File Archive
it does not say that is Upgrade, and when im installing it it says that is a upgrade version and i need the previous windows to install it, maybe wrong decription? or am i doing something wrong?

Comments

• It may be. We get little feedback about the foreign language downloads. I though all of those reduced-size downloads had an MSBATCH file to override any defaults, but perhaps not.

Anyway to work around that, create a file named MSBATCH.INF in your setup folder, and add in:
    [Setup]
    ProductType=1

Hmmm, when it says that, is it asking for you to present it with a floppy disk from a qualified product?
    If so, you might also need to add the line "CCP=0" to the above.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It may be. We get little feedback about the foreign language downloads. I though all of those reduced-size downloads had an MSBATCH file to override any defaults, but perhaps not.

Anyway to work around that, create a file named MSBATCH.INF in your setup folder, and add in:
    [Setup]
    ProductType=1

Hmmm, when it says that, is it asking for you to present it with a floppy disk from a qualified product?
    If so, you might also need to add the line "CCP=0" to the above.

That totally worked, thank you!
  • Okay, i did the installation and for some reason when i boot the computer it gives me all along the screen "/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S/S"
    on loop... wtf¿?
  • Hmm, that is weird. Reminds me of some compatiblity issues I've seen with odd partition/boot sectors. You might try wiping the drive with a tool like MAXLLF http://web.archive.org/web/199711131035 ... lfutil.exe and then re-installing. Might also try running a memory/system diagnostic like Checkit or the Norton Utilities Norton Diagnostics.
  • Im using a CF Card with an adapter to 44-pin IDE. Maybe thats the problem?
  • yes cause those adapters tend to present to the system as removable mass storage disks, which 95 does not natively support, so that would cause a boot failure
  • I wiped the CF card drive with the program SomeGuy gave to me and now it works perfect. Maybe that was the problem.
  • Moving to software. Not a site issue.
  • Oops, didn't notice it was in the wrong section.

Anyway, CF card do seem to commonly come with wonky partition information on them.

In general, Windows 9x does not have issues with being installed on "removable" media. But 2000/XP will get confused without modifications.