windows 1.01 ms-dos 3.2 compatibility

edited September 2014 in Software
Hi I have an old zenith laptop which I want to install windows 1.01 on however windows 1.01 says it supports ms-dos 2.0 and windows 1.03 says it supports ms-dos 3.2.

Should I switch to installing windows 1.03 or should windows 1.01 still work?

Comments

• Windows 1.01 will run fine (at least I don't known of any specific problems) on DOS 3.x.

Since the idea is you are going full out retro, you should be fine.

With the right setver commands it even runs under DOS 6.22 and Win95/98 DOS 7.x, with the only caveat being command.com will not run in a window.

Of course, the other thing to keep in mind is what you want to run under it. I am aware that officially Aldus PageMaker 1.0x expects Windows 1.03 or 1.04, but it does also run under 1.01.

Does your Zenith laptop have at least CGA compaible graphics?
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Windows 1.01 will run fine (at least I don't known of any specific problems) on DOS 3.x.

Since the idea is you are going full out retro, you should be fine.

With the right setver commands it even runs under DOS 6.22 and Win95/98 DOS 7.x, with the only caveat being command.com will not run in a window.

Of course, the other thing to keep in mind is what you want to run under it. I am aware that officially Aldus PageMaker 1.0x expects Windows 1.03 or 1.04, but it does also run under 1.01.

Does your Zenith laptop have at least CGA compaible graphics?

I'm pretty sure it does, although now I am having issues powering it as the nicd battery exploded but still seems to somewhat work. Hopefully it is only going to take longer to charge and not be un-chargeable..
  • Don't use that battery for too long, preferably at all. If it exploded there's probably not a well regulated voltage going through it and it will eventually fry it if so.

It would be a shame to see the entire machine fuck up just due to a battery you may be able to replace sooner or later.
  • For the love of god, take it out before it can do any more damage! It can corrode, bulge, and all sorts of nasty shit. I've had this happen to a butterfly before.
  • well, unfortunately the hard drive won't start up, but I have another laptop which can run windows 3.1, however as it also has 95 on it, 3.1 says the ms-dos is incompatible, I know I can use setver but what file would I need to use setver with?
  • it also has 95 on it, 3.1 says the ms-dos is incompatible,
    That is a whole different can of worms. To put it simply, I wouldn't bother with Windows 3.1 on the same drive as 95.

The Windows 9x DOS prevents Windows 3.1 from running. In Windows 95B, the FAT32 file system is incompatible with the Windows 3.1 32-bit disk and file access.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    it also has 95 on it, 3.1 says the ms-dos is incompatible,
    That is a whole different can of worms. To put it simply, I wouldn't bother with Windows 3.1 on the same drive as 95.

The Windows 9x DOS prevents Windows 3.1 from running. In Windows 95B, the FAT32 file system is incompatible with the Windows 3.1 32-bit disk and file access.

Ironic you said that, I have it working now and I just used a program called "Win3xStart.exe".