Windows Protection error

edited November 2012 in Software
Help when i install windows 95 on windows virtual pc for windows 7 it says Windows protection error

Comments

• now isin't that very vague.......

(protip: add more details, how do we replicate this, give further details on the error, screenshots are best)
  • Yes and maybe a visual of the part of setup you're on may help too.
  • Ok The Screen Shots Will Be Uploaded now 1333413181.th.25318.png

#2 Darn my screen shots can't be shown -_-
    #3 Ok The Guest Was Me i forgot about the username
    #4 http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .25318.png That was the screenshot
    #5 http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .25318.png this might work idk how to upload screenshots

AlienEdit: merged posts
  • Well, besides the fact that you can attach files to posts now, there's image hosts like http://goput.it that are easy to use.
  • Wow dude that's just.... some massive fail. Despite BA being hosted on some of the cheapest bandwidth around in the seedbox users' choice of datacenter (OVH), it spits that out when a referrer is sent.

Your answer is as tox said: http://goput.it
  • I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume it's after you have installed it and it's restarted for the first time, etc. If so it's because Win95 is not designed for anything remotely faster than a P2 maybe a P3.

I forget exactly but back in the day depending on which version you were running it wouldn't run on anything above 350Mhz, until they released a patch. Now I think OSR 2.1 and 2.5 can and that's where I remember running them on P2's and 3's but still a modern system running in the 1Ghz + range tends to equal that particular fail as far as I remember. I don't know if anyone ever coded a fix for it for Virtual PC, I think VMware runs it just fine, can anyone who sues that confirm this? and the older versions of VirtualBox ran it pretty good as well.
  • #1 Ok Im Using Windows 7 home so here is the screen shot cfo.png

#2 I Use Virtual Box 3.1.6 Will That Work?
    #3 darn i forgot Username again
    #4 Ok i Resguiterd

* AlienEdit - *facepalm*
  • Guest wrote:
    Ok i Resguiterd

I hope you cleaned up afterward. :shock:
  • OSR 13, I assume that's meant to mean 1.3 and as far as official release go that doesn't exist. But yes it's the error once installed, It may boot into safe mode but I can't remember fully if it does. Not much of a fix, I think VPC 2004 used to do it as well. If your system was to modern.
  • OSR 13, I assume that's meant to mean 1.3 and as far as official release go that doesn't exist. But yes it's the error once installed, It may boot into safe mode but I can't remember fully if it does. Not much of a fix, I think VPC 2004 used to do it as well. If your system was to modern.
    Virtual pc 2004 Does not Work in windows 7

EDIT: OSR13 was another virtual machine becuase i alerdy have a OSR1 VM but it wont work so i named the second OSR13
  • VirtualBox will probably yield better results; it handles WFW3.11 and 95 OSR2 just fine so I wouldn't see why it'd puke on OSR13
  • "so i named the second OSR13"

Fair enough, virtual box is the preferred method these days for win9x from what most people say.
  • I don't know about OSR 1 but I know 2.5 works great on vmware workstation. I haven't tried in VirtualBox.

VirtualBox is sort of becoming the de facto standard for virtualization on the desktop. At least, that's what it seems like to me. Servers are a whole other story.
  • BlueSun: these forums need a "like" button, lol.

Regarding the actual topic, yeah, try OSR 2.5. VirtualBox is an effective virtualization program, I've gotten it to run Win2K and XP before successfully.
  • I Say VM ware is a virus I Wonce Did It And My Old pc Got A Virus By Having VMs in VMware
  • Virtual Machines you make can't give you viruses. Plus VirtualBox and VMWare are 2 different things.
  • VMware is a leader in virtualization technologies. You probably browse websites running in VMs powered by ESX / ESXi.

As to viruses in VMs infecting the host OS, it's unlikely. Not impossible though. There are hypervisor exploits and of course, run of the mill worms that can spread through your network if proper precautions aren't taken.
  • I Say VM ware is a virus I Wonce Did It And My Old pc Got A Virus By Having VMs in VMware

lcd.jpg

I can only describe you as a fucking idiot.

That is all.
  • I Will Try In My Windows 7 Pro VM In Virtual Box And Use VMware in My VM i will Try Though
  • Wait your going to try virtualisaton software inside virtual machines? that defeats the point. Just install and use Virtual Box on the host OS. I've never had any problems with it at all, especially if you get the install from their own website.
  • I HAVE VIRTUAL BOX ARELDY and btw i got VPC 2007 in Windows 7

Oh and im using windows 7 home x64
  • well idk what to do
  • Actually I have this kind of error on my Intel i3 330M laptop. Perhaps it's too new for installing it. Try again on an older PC, or use QEMU to emulate one.
  • Try running it in VirtualBox. Just disable the processor excelleration.
  • PlyrStar93: In a VM, or on the physical hardware directly? If the latter is the case, you were right, I wouldn't try running it on that... if you want a computer to run Win9x on, they aren't very hard to find, maybe check a local dumpster :P
  • Help when i install windows 95 on windows virtual pc for windows 7 it says Windows protection error

Something is obviously wrong with the time measuring scheme in Windows 95's I/O subset. It's measuring the times it takes for protected-mode drivers to load, as so it should warn when drivers seem to be not responding, in milliseconds, but most computers manufactured after 1998 take less than 1 millisecond to load each of the drivers, therefore the I/O subset would get the measurement of 0 milliseconds to load and try to divide a number by that number 0, but since that is not possible, a "Windows protection error" is displayed.

However, Windows Virtual PC still runs programs as fast as the PC you are running it on would run them, there's no option for Windows Virtual PC to emulate an older, slower computer. Maybe you can try Windows 95 in other x86 emulators. If that doesn't work, try using Windows NT 4.0, the closest relative to Windows 95 that still works well on today's PCs, in Windows Virtual PC. However, if you really need to explore Windows 95, try using LoneCrusador's Windows 95 IOS/NDIS patcher DOS tool.
  • *EDIT it works now i uninstalled virtual pc win 7 and i made a new vm it works fine but the setup didnt suceed
    and it does not say windows protection error