Windows 2000 installation trouble

edited March 2012 in Software
I have recently downloaded Windows 2000 Pro SP4. (twice)

I am getting the following error...

.sif file corrupt

Value 0 on line in section SourceDiskFiles sp4.cab

I'm assuming there is a corrupt file in the service pack ???

I am a bit new to all this but after I downloaded the files from jumbofiles.com, I extracted the .rar to a folder on my pc. Then I used WinImage and clicked on extract and put them in a different folder on my pc. Finally, I used Nero to burn the files that I extracted onto my pc to a cd.

Am I doing this process wrong? I downloaded the file twice because I was thinking that maybe I got a corrupt file in my download, but I get the same error on both cd's that I made from the two different downloads.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks. :(

Comments

• So after extracting the ISO from the archive, you're using WinImage to extract the files from the ISO? That is the source of your problem. Burn the ISO directly using Nero - Burn Image in the File menu if I remember correctly.

Good luck.
  • I recently downloaded 2KSP4 from WinWorld, burned it to a CD, and installed it on my Asus C3. Worked fine for me, so at least the file being hosted is working... are you sure it downloaded alright?

Oh, I see you downloaded it from "jumbofiles.com," obviously another one of those file sharing sites. Why not download it from WinWorld?
  • GDEA73 wrote:
    I recently downloaded 2KSP4 from WinWorld, burned it to a CD, and installed it on my Asus C3. Worked fine for me, so at least the file being hosted is working... are you sure it downloaded alright?

Oh, I see you downloaded it from "jumbofiles.com," obviously another one of those file sharing sites. Why not download it from WinWorld?
    That is one of the winworld download mirrors (they are the replacements to the megaupload files)
  • Duff wrote:
    So after extracting the ISO from the archive, you're using WinImage to extract the files from the ISO? That is the source of your problem. Burn the ISO directly using Nero - Burn Image in the File menu if I remember correctly.

Thanks for reply...

I did it correctly this time. I used Nero to burn the .iso file directly to the cd. I still got the same error.

I downloaded another .iso burning software called burncdcc and tried using it. However, I continue to get the same error.

I'm assuming the file must be good as I see that other people are downloading it and it is working.

Do I have to be a paid member of jumbofiles.com to get this download correctly?

Also, I am trying to install Win2K on a legacy machine but I don't think that should give me this error. (300mhz cpu, 4 GB hard drive, 120MB RAM).

I'm actually in Africa and I'm trying to get some legacy computers at this school running better, the main thing I need to do is get a couple of them working with USB support so flash drives could be used on them. I found an old version of Avast that is still getting updates that should run on these old computers. I wanted to put Win2K on them because it seems Win95 doesn't have USB support for flash drives.

Maybe I just try and use a different cd burning software, I don't know.

Anyhow, it's all a bit frustrating.

But thanks for the input.
  • I just installed it in a virtual machine without any problems.

zf4.png

Try using the latest version of 7-Zip instead of WinRAR to extract it from the 7z archive. I used LZMA2 compression for the JumboFiles collection and WinRAR might not like that.

Failing that, download it directly from the main server by clicking here.

Here's a working serial as well: ddtpv-txmx7-bbgj9-wgy8k-b9ghm
  • Thanks a million Duff. I will try this out right away.

:D
  • Hey,

So, I have been quite busy trying multiple different things. After MANY attempts, I have succeeded in installing Win2K on one of the legacy machines I am working with. It seems the root of my installation problems was hardware related. It was stumping me because I could try the install on two different machines and I would get the same error. It seems I have problems with a cd-rom on one computer and a hard drive on another. I moved the hard drive from the 1st computer over to another one and the install went through no problem. Maybe I need to clean the lens on the old cd-rom or something.

I wish I could say everything was perfect now but I still don't have usb support for flash drives, which is why I wanted to do this install in the first place.

There are 2 usb ports available on this motherboard but Device Manager isn't showing any usb controllers!??

I had the impression all the drivers I would need for usb support were in SP4 for Win2K. So, all I know to do is to install a pci card with extra usb ports.

Does anyone know if flashing the BIOS would have an affect on usb controllers magically showing up in Device Manager?

Thanks again Duff for helping me out and for the other input given in this thread. Cheers.
  • Go to the motherboard manufacturers website (if they're still around) and see if they have any drivers. Otherwise, you could try looking up the chipset and tracking down drivers that way.

If you have a PCI USB card with drivers, it would probably be easiest to just use that.
  • You could track down a Windows XP driver and edit the INI file to point it to work for win2k. If all else fails even with a Win2k driver you might have to add the PCI/VEN info to the INI.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/index.php

That site comes in handy for narrowing down drivers.
  • A first check is to see if the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS. Many boards allow you to turn the USB off. It could be as simple as that, otherwise is device manager showing any not installed / non functioning devices? If it had any they'll have a yellow circle with an apostrophe in it.
  • As far as I've ever seen, USB works with generic drivers in Win2K. If it doesn't you're probably out of luck... for Win9x you could install the generic drivers/patch, but for Win2K I don't know.
  • A first check is to see if the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS. Many boards allow you to turn the USB off. It could be as simple as that, otherwise is device manager showing any not installed / non functioning devices? If it had any they'll have a yellow circle with an apostrophe in it.

Yes, actually I was able to enable USB support in the BIOS. Now I do see a USB controller in Device Manager. The description calls it an unsupported VIA usb controller. It still does not recognize my usb flash drive when I put it in. There are a couple non-functioning devices in Device Manager with the yellow circle. They are PCI Simple Communications Controller and Multimedia Audio Controller. I've started to look for drivers for these but I'm a little new to all this so my search is slow going.
    BlueSun wrote:
    Go to the motherboard manufacturers website (if they're still around) and see if they have any drivers. Otherwise, you could try looking up the chipset and tracking down drivers that way.

I found the driver for my chipset, VIA Apollo Pro Plus (692/596). I have installed that but it still doesn't recognize my USB flashdrive.

Another strange issue is that when I try to add a second hard drive to the system, I get a blue screen with a stop error about half way through the Win2K startup screen. The BIOS is recognizing the hard drive and I have it installed properly on the secondary master IDE controller. I have run FDISK on it and formatted it but I continue to get the stop error. It says 'inaccessible boot device'. Could that come from the power supply not being big enough for 2 hard drives and a CD-ROM?

Thanks for the input all. I appreciate.