Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm | Post subject: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

So,

I have the solar system back.

When I go into my extended dos parition, and make some logical paritions, it makes the first as ":D" however this conflicts with my CD-ROM drivers.

I need to label the first logical partition other than "D", but I can't figure out how. I know of the assign command, but that doesn't actually change the drive letter, it just makes one drive think it's another.

Does anyone know anyway to change a drive letter in MS-DOS 6.22?

EDIT: So I tried installing the CD-ROM drivers before making any logical DOS drives. and it works, after I made one logical drive it labelled it D, and then on restart the CD-ROM drive was labelled E.

However, now when I made as many logical drives as possible to use all my space on the HDD, it now says there's not enough drive letters available, so I am not able to access my CD-ROM drive now.

- Steve Ballmer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

Add this line to CONFIG.SYS

LASTDRIVE=Z

This makes all drive letters assignable. The CD-ROM should be receive a drive letter now.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

BigCJ wrote:
Add this line to CONFIG.SYS

LASTDRIVE=Z

This makes all drive letters assignable. The CD-ROM should be receive a drive letter now.

Thanks man! That worked.

Now I I can only choose which letter I want each drive to be.

- Steve Ballmer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

That isn't really possible AFAIK. Changing drive letters wasn't easy until Windows came along. I'd backup the data and repartition the Logical drives.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

BigCJ wrote:
That isn't really possible AFAIK. Changing drive letters wasn't easy until Windows came along. I'd backup the data and repartition the Logical drives.

and even if I did that, FDISK would just make the first logical drive "D" again, as it always does.

- Steve Ballmer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

Wait, what exactly are you trying to do? Have primary partition as C:, the CD-ROM as D: and then the Logical drives? It's supposed to list the hard disks and their partitions before CD drives.

How does this contraindicate your CD-ROM driver?

Last edited by BigCJ on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

BigCJ wrote:
Wait, what exactly are you trying to do? Have primary partition as C:, the CD-ROM as D: and then the Logical drives? It's supposed to list the hard disks and their partitions before CD drives.

yes, that's what I want.

- Steve Ballmer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

That isn't possible under DOS. See, MSCDEX presents the CD-ROM drive to DOS as a network drive, and those load after hard disks and their partitions. Even using the /L:x switch in MSCDEX doesn't help. What's wrong with your CD drive having a higher drive letter?

Last edited by BigCJ on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

BigCJ wrote:
That isn't possible under DOS. See, MSCDEX presents the CD-ROM drive to DOS as a network drive, and those load after hard disks and their partitions. What's wrong with your CD drive having a higher drive letter?

Nothing, just would've liked keeping this standard.

- Steve Ballmer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

Having the CD drive(s) after the hard disk partitions *was* standard way back when. The "CD drive being D: no matter what" ideal came about in the Win9x-era.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 pm | Post subject: Re: Changing drive letters in MS-DOS 6.22?

BigCJ wrote:
Having the CD drive(s) after the hard disk partitions *was* standard way back when. The "CD drive being D: no matter what" ideal came about in the Win9x-era.

alright then "G" it is!

- Steve Ballmer

Search for: