Check Archives

edited November 2016 in Site Issues
SomeGuy et al can you check the following archives. ESET NOD32 has flagged these on my local backups of the repository during a full system scan of my desktop today.

Quicken 6.7z - Win32/StartPage.OGK trojan
IBM PC-DOS 1.0 (5.25).7z - probably unknown POLY.COM boot virus

Comments

• The file ./Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/DOS/IBM/IBM PC-DOS 1.0 (5.25).7z was among those recently purged. It was replaced a while back with a better archive with the filename "IBM PC-DOS 1.00 (5.25-160k).7z".

The new one was contributed by ibmpc5150 and verified as good compared to several sources. Still, I thought the only problem with the old one was a packaging problem. Does the new one pass or fail a scan with your scanner?

The problem file in Quicken 6 appears to be the file "INFOTRDE\IEXP\WIN95\INETREG.EXE". I'm not 100% positive, but it looks like that may have been on the original CD like that.
  • I downloaded "IBM PC-DOS 1.0 (5.25).7z" again.
    It seems not to be problem.

Also my contributed IBM PC-DOS 1.0 / 1.1 is dumped/scanned from my original package. (Not from copied one.)
    I also have original first release manual of 1.0. (Uploaded manual is Second release)
  • I'm a little up in the air as to what to do about that Quicken 6 CD. Although I can't really be 100% sure, the ISO looks genuine, and a file of that name is supposed to be there although the file does look a hair suspicious.

Ideally, I'd like to compare it to an original CD, but who knows where this came from.

The "Win32/StartPage" suggests it changes the users home page, which was a very common thing for crapware installers to do back then.

I could re-upload an ISO without that file, we wouldn't really lose anything since this file is just part of some bundled trial software that requires both a non-included activation code and web service that is certainly long gone.