Rest in peace: iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle. A recap of iPod.

edited August 2017 in Hardware
It's a sad week..

As of Monday July 27th, Apple has discontinued the iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano. :shock:

What a life they had! Back in 2005 when these little music player were introduced, everyone bought them. They were the new trend. The new generation of music players. iPod, for many years it was the best music players in existence. Though, why would Apple kill the iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano? They were so successful! Why did Apple's iPod Shuffle and Nano's die?

The sort answer: iPhone.

iPhone was revolutionary in 2007, on that day, everybody forgot about the iPod Nano and Shuffle's, and instead, got iPhones. Full touch screen, iOS, loads more cases, flash memory, more storage, what else would there be? As iPhone was growing in more popularity, the iPod (Nano and Shuffle), were loosing popularity. Then we come to the iPhone 4. At this point, basically everyone either had either the iPod Touch, or the iPhone in their pockets.

It was in 2013, Apple killed the original iPod. It lived for six generations.

With newer iPod Touch devices released, the iPod Nano and Shuffle weren't being updated much. Why? Because Apple's main focuses at that point were just Macs, MacBooks, iPhones, and iPod Touch devices.

And here we are in 2017, iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano, nobody really use these anymore. If they could afford an iPhone, or iPod Touch, they got the higher up options of devices (I know grammar is bad. But you know what I mean). Apple. Killed. The amazing little devices, iPod Nano and Shuffle. *Sigh*, we could use Steve Jobs in Apple's control right about now..

And that's it! Rest in peace iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle. The real question is:
WHAT'S NEXT TO COME?
What do you think will happen next? iPod Touch 7? Will Apple kill the iPod completely? Comment what you think will happen!

Thanks for reading! :D

Comments

• On the thing about iPhones taking over, they did so because people could get older used iPhones for cheaper than a new iPod and then still have the ability to have a backup phone if needed.
  • Alixnator wrote:
    *Sigh*, we could use Steve Jobs in Apple's control right about now..
    What exactly do you think he'd have done better?
  • I'm pretty sure the majority reason why they discontinued the ipod shuffle /nano was because they weren't capable of streaming apple music. At least that's what I heard on my nbc news station. This article describes a good argument towards the finical history of the ipod shuffle/nano.

Surprisingly I still have my 2nd generation ipod shuffle with the original box that I bought from Target. I actually used just the other day to hike a tall peak. But yeah, its not good news. It is also an apparent money grab from Apple, of which they want the consumer to pay more for its fancier products than actually provide cheaper products. Hell I bet I could look up a tutorial to make a replica of the ipod shuffle(or how to fix one) online.
  • Streaming? Ipod? What is these you speak of?
    R8KCb6R.png
    Because why not? Let's see I've got The Police, Def Leppard, Billy Joel...
    I'm not joking.

Killing the basic ipod is also a simple economic strategy. By decreasing the amount of products to make/sell/support Apple has more resources to dedicate to other things. Sometimes quite useless.
    I believe the iPod touch still remains relevant especially if it is 64bit as most of the time the hardware remains similar to the iphone, requiring a small change in the build process. Also I see lots of parents buying these as child pacifiers cheaper that an ipad and safer than handing over the phone.
    However, a price decrease may be a good (likely not possible) idea to keep people like me from purchasing a 50euro trashed 5s and fixing for not even 20 as a truly cheap alternate than a going and buying the newest phone or itouch(with more features).

It also follows the capitalist "disposable" tactic. I had to work on one last month. 70% of what is holding it together is tape and glue, an absolute bitch to teardown.
  • Alixnator wrote:
    *Sigh*, we could use Steve Jobs in Apple's control right about now..
    What exactly do you think he'd have done better?

In the day of Steve Jobs, Apple was a lot more innovative. Steve Jobs was doing a good job at designing new Apple products. And in general Apple was in the Steve Jobs days making new products every once in a while but now without Jobs around most of what Apple is doing is just newer versions of iPhones and Macs. Maybe Jobs might have had some power to keep the iPod line going with all new iPods that might be in a collab. of (for example) Apple and Asus with like the "iPod Asuplayer" that'd be running iOS but would look like the iPod Classic linup of iPods.

Apple has become to be a "boring" company now that Jobs is gone. New iPhone, another iPhone, ANOTHER iPhone, an iPod with "extreme" changes with a new processor running at the same speed before!, new iPhone that nobody can buy bcuz why buy an iPhone; a MacBook is cheaper! And all be extremly overpriced.
  • Steve Jobs didn't really design anything. If anything, he just approved the designs that others came up with and then yelled at the engineers until they got it right.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Steve Jobs didn't really design anything. If anything, he just approved the designs that others came up with and then yelled at the engineers until they got it right.

Others' designs who would've otherwise been ignored until Apple hemorrhaged its very last dollar making more beige pizza boxes.
  • Alixnator wrote:
    It's a sad week..

As of Monday July 27th, Apple has discontinued the iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano. :shock:

What a life they had! Back in 2005 when these little music player were introduced, everyone bought them. They were the new trend. The new generation of music players. iPod, for many years it was the best music players in existence. Though, why would Apple kill the iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano? They were so successful! Why did Apple's iPod Shuffle and Nano's die?

The sort answer: iPhone.

iPhone was revolutionary in 2007, on that day, everybody forgot about the iPod Nano and Shuffle's, and instead, got iPhones. Full touch screen, iOS, loads more cases, flash memory, more storage, what else would there be? As iPhone was growing in more popularity, the iPod (Nano and Shuffle), were loosing popularity. Then we come to the iPhone 4. At this point, basically everyone either had either the iPod Touch, or the iPhone in their pockets.

It was in 2013, Apple killed the original iPod. It lived for six generations.

With newer iPod Touch devices released, the iPod Nano and Shuffle weren't being updated much. Why? Because Apple's main focuses at that point were just Macs, MacBooks, iPhones, and iPod Touch devices.

And here we are in 2017, iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano, nobody really use these anymore. If they could afford an iPhone, or iPod Touch, they got the higher up options of devices (I know grammar is bad. But you know what I mean). Apple. Killed. The amazing little devices, iPod Nano and Shuffle. *Sigh*, we could use Steve Jobs in Apple's control right about now..

And that's it! Rest in peace iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle. The real question is:
    WHAT'S NEXT TO COME?
    What do you think will happen next? iPod Touch 7? Will Apple kill the iPod completely? Comment what you think will happen!

Thanks for reading! :D
    I''m Sad About That!
  • @SuriPolomareFan Please please please do NOT quote really long posts like that. It's very annoying.

We know what the context is already, so you could have just said "I'm sad about that", omitting the really long quote and you would have been fine.

@OP I took my old, broken iPod touch (5th gen, 32GB, I totaled it by dropping it on my driveway) apart last week and was shocked that Apple went on the cheap, using copious amounts of glue and adhesive to hold the thing together rather than screws. Hell, the only thing screwed down to the backplate is the RF shield (and that's only because Apple needs to comply with FCC mandates). Even the logic board is glued down. WTF, Apple? Really?

BTW, there are rumors that a 7th gen iPod touch is in the works. I think the only reason that Apple still manufactures these things is because parents still buy them for their kids.