VGA port recognizes monitor but won't output anything

edited July 2017 in Hardware
I am having another issue with my cyrix Mediagxm laptop. The issue is that in windows 98, the VGA port recognizes the VGA LCD monitor, but it doesn't output , I know on the laptop you have to press Fn + F4 , When I do that The screen blanks , and then it acts like it is outputting to the screen, but then quickly switches back to the internal screen. I have press the key combination multiple times and nothing. I am not totally sure what is wrong . Not sure if this will help but when I plug monitor into vga port, I reboot it , and the name of the LCD vga monitor, Replaces the internal monitor, Instead of listing the internal monitor and VGA monitor , in the device manager , it just shows the VGA monitor. Also when I go to the setting in windows 98 to change the resolution, it is saying the monitor only available is the external VGA , and not the internal monitor, when actually it is the internal monitor.

Comments

• Update on my problem , I believe the port is Dead, I check the VGA port with a multimeter , by having a vga cable hooked up to it, and it seems that all Pins are shorted together.
  • Even if the external VGA port were damaged, VGA ports are mostly "dumb" and don't really know if there is a monitor connected. If FN+F4 is the correct key combination for your machine then it should turn off the laptop display until you press FN+F4 again, regardless.

What happens if you press it when no external monitor is connected?
    What happens if you exit to DOS an press that?
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Even if the external VGA port were damaged, VGA ports are mostly "dumb" and don't really know if there is a monitor connected. If FN+F4 is the correct key combination for your machine then it should turn off the laptop display until you press FN+F4 again, regardless.

What happens if you press it when no external monitor is connected?
    What happens if you exit to DOS an press that?

When I press it , in DOS it does the same thing it just blanks the screen quick and just goes back to the original screen, and it does nothing when a monitor is not connected. I have said before windows 98 recognizes the monitor , which Means the DDC pins are working , which sends data from the monitor to the computer telling windows what the monitor is, and what resolutions it supports, but I got a meter and checked the pins, the main display pins are shorted out, the R,G,B pins, plus the SYNC pins , can't figure out why the DDC aren't and also there is no voltage on the lines, I have tested the same thing on the laptop I am using now, and the VGA port does work, and it outputs voltages on the pins.
  • Try a different cable. It is likely that that has SOMETHING to to with it.