R.I.P Mac Superdrive

edited July 2017 in Hardware
It's no secret by now that I use a Mid 2011 Mac Mini as my main machine, which is fine considering I'm not a gamer (at least a modern gamer), and it has an i5 so it's more than good enough for me.

Considering Mini's do not come with optical drives at all, I bought the external USB one from apple, and for a while, it worked great and read/wrote cd's and dvd's as I wanted.

However, one day it stopped sucking! (Which is a bad thing), It stopped sucking the discs in, and the way these are designed, if the discs aren't sucked in, even though the Windows detects the drive and it should theoretically be able to read/write, it would have nothing to read or write to since the discs won't be in the proper spot.

Essentially, this external drive is dead, and I will have to get a replacement.

I'm not going for an apple one though, I'm gonna go for a much, much cheaper and just as good third party option, because we all know apple overprices things.

Comments

• What is the point of this thread? Are you asking for us to help you find a replacement for the drive? Personally, I've had an LG external dvd drive for a long while now and it works great so I'd recommend just getting one from LG or Sony if they make external drives still.
  • Psh, when you said Superdrive, I thought we would be talking about the 400k/800k/1.44mb floppy drives... such disappointment.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Psh, when you said Superdrive, I thought we would be talking about the 400k/800k/1.44mb floppy drives... such disappointment.

Same. An optical writer? Those are a dime a dozen.
  • From what I can gather, this topic should be renamed along the lines of "RIP Mac Optical SuperDrive".
  • Yeah like 66659hi said LG drives are great and really reliable. I have had mine for over a year and it burns like a charm!