AT tower, Celeron, 5.25 Disk Drive, and a little Jesus!

edited July 2017 in Hardware
Remember that computer with the "5.25 drive that I bought? Well it came in today.

It looks like so:

19905290_10210054379060193_841966491264591378_n.jpg?oh=d233679c03d16f9fdd8dcd75f9e14312&oe=5A02EA6D

19959088_10210054379620207_6259193469830543462_n.jpg?oh=1a72263374ab9a59dc498d5f1022431b&oe=59FC6F53

Windows says it has a Pentium II with MMX, though the BIOS says it has a celeron. This obviously must've belonged to a church, Ferndale bible church to be specific. However, why a church would want a custom built AT tower with Windows 98 supporting processor and RAM is beyond me, let alone the fact it has no PS/2 ports, an AT connector for the keyboard and serial for the mouse. Luckily I have both an AT/DIN keyboard and a serial mouse.

19990602_10210054380340225_2540441131659574337_n.jpg?oh=2f92788e5c1fa9bdecebb19a99d77546&oe=59CCEDDF

And, that background.. JESUS! :lol: :P

19990408_10210054379780211_3513973586229029245_n.jpg?oh=7423fb92c49fd628cdb6e85c3941204c&oe=59C6138C

It does have a Sound Blaster 16 though, which is a great positive.

This is the kind of machine I'd run MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1/11 on, if it wasn't that the processor and the RAM were too much for it to be anywhere near period appropriate. However, this'd still be useful for writing 5.25 disks for my Packmate III. It's weaker than my deskpro, however it can still run most DOS games just fine, and I don't game much, so it's become it's replacement. Hence, why it kicked out the deskpro and took over it's desk....

I found out all the drivers for the video card, modem, and NIC. You can easily find and download Windows 98 drivers for them.

So I have formatted the drive, and will be reinstalling 98 on it, to remove the foul stench of organized religion form the machine. 8) :roll:

One last thing that I find interesting, is that the reset button, is not a button, it's one of those small things which you have to push in with a pen, pencil, or a pin. I guess the manufacturers didn't want people resetting this machine by accident, or something....

Comments

• Win98SE is a good choice on a machine like this. You still get full DOS compatiblity just exiting to DOS, but can make use of newer programs and I/O devices. Should make a good "tweener" system.

This is actually an AT case? The last Intel AT motherboards that I recall were Pentium 1 233mhz, although there perhaps were some industrial board. Plenty of faster AT form AMD boards though. What model of motherboard is that?

Since you are re-formatting, I'd also run MAXLLF to remap any bad sectors and make sure all of the child raping bullshit is gone.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Win98SE is a good choice on a machine like this. You still get full DOS compatiblity just exiting to DOS, but can make use of newer programs and I/O devices. Should make a good "tweener" system.

This is actually an AT case? The last Intel AT motherboards that I recall were Pentium 1 233mhz, although there perhaps were some industrial board. Plenty of faster AT form AMD boards though. What model of motherboard is that?

Since you are re-formatting, I'd also run MAXLLF to remap any bad sectors and make sure all of the child raping bullshit is gone.

I'm not sure if it is or not, but as I said there are no PS/2 ports, there's also no USB ports. So that leads me to believe it's an older style of motherboard.

I did already, start the format, but when it's done I will do MAXLLF and then start setup again, however, with an 8GB hard drive, it'll take a couple hours.

Would drivers designed for straight Windows 98 also work with SE?

EDIT: Also, important reminder for mods/admins. The Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE keys still seem to be backwards as the Windows 98 key didn't work for me, but the Windows 98 SE key did, and I am installing first edition...

P.S: Does anyone know why Windows would think it's a Pentium 2 with MMX but the BIOS would say it's a Celeron?

It has to be one or the other, it can't be both, so either Windows or the BIOS must be getting it wrong.
  • After running ScanDisk and making it do a through scan, it came with no errors, no bad sectors, etc.

Phew.. I wont have to LLF it, which'd take hours.

However, per further testing the 3.5 inch drive is dead, but I can replace that easily. I keep broken down machines for parts anyways.

What's important is that the "5.25 is still alive and functioning well.
  • Wen I looked inside, the heatinsk and fan was loose and just hanging in the case, so the CPU is not being cool.

I do think it really is a celeron, as it doesn't look anything like a pentium 2, with it's unique design.

Anyways, it's been a long time since I have installed a processor or a heatinsk, my heatinsk/fan does have metal rods for it to latch onto something, but there's nothing for it to latch onto...

Should the thermal paste be enough to hold it in place on top of the processor?

EDIT A: (3.5 inch drive) successfully replaced.

Now I will have to see my friends at my repair shop again, to get them to put the heatinsk/fan complex back in place.

Right now, I have the panels off the case, and the fan still connected and running. Just so I don't burn out the processor.
  • May also want to sit another fan beside the case. I had an old friend who used a box fan to keep his PC cool. That lasted for a few months until the processor eventually died. Since this is short-term, the Pentium/Celeron whatever the hell it is will probably be fine.
  • Popeyewinter said:
    "P.S: Does anyone know why Windows would think it's a Pentium 2 with MMX but the BIOS would say it's a Celeron?"

The Celeron is a low-end Intel processor.
    The first Celeron branded CPU was based on the Pentium II branded core.
  • Should the thermal paste be enough to hold it in place on top of the processor?
    No. Normally there is a latch on each site of the CPU socket that the heat sink connects to. But I am not familiar with Celery CPUs or what kinds of heat sinks they use.

They do make an adhesive heat sinking thermal paste compound. But if there is not enough pressure, the heat sink may not work properly.

It looks like a Celeron has a large amount of cooling space on the top. But be warned that some CPUs, like the AMD Athlon and Athlon XP will instantly let out the magic smoke if a heat sink is not properly attached.
  • altracker9 wrote:
    Popeyewinter said:
    "P.S: Does anyone know why Windows would think it's a Pentium 2 with MMX but the BIOS would say it's a Celeron?"

The Celeron is a low-end Intel processor.
    The first Celeron branded CPU was based on the Pentium II branded core.

Besides clock speed, if they shared the same core what would be the difference betweeen a normal P-ii and the first Celeron?
    However, why a church would want a custom built AT tower with Windows 98 supporting processor and RAM is beyond me

Maybe it was donated to them.
  • Update on the situation:

The system is now at my repair shop, they said it should be good by Monday, since they are closed Sundays.

Also, there is progress with the Acer Acros, it is turning on now, and they replaced the CMOS.

They are just having trouble getting the hard drive to be recognized.