Should I buy this?

edited June 2017 in Hardware
so unfortunately, the 486 machine is toast.

However, I found this sweet deal, and the seller is considering getting this over to me, themselves (it's like 3-4 hours away from me). I said I'll pay up to $150 for the delivery but I first said $100. So either $250 or $300 total price.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-computer ... 1034905601

Thoughts?

Comments

• A Deskpro EN? I never would have thought one one would still sell for that much.

Normally shipping would be murder though, even without the monitor. What did they make those power supplies out of? Led?

Solid business machines. Supported both Windows 95 and 98. Proprietary form case. The ATI cards in those machines weren't that great, and for 98 stuff you would probably want a larger hard drive.

Ah, so "floopy" is a Canadian spelling :P
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    A Deskpro EN? I never would have thought one one would still sell for that much.

Normally shipping would be murder though, even without the monitor. What did they make those power supplies out of? Led?

Sold business machines. Supported both Windows 95 and 98. Proprietary form case. The ATI cards in those machines weren't that great, and for 98 stuff you would probably want a larger hard drive.

Ah, so "floopy" is a Canadian spelling :P

Just look at what similar machines are going for on ebay.

Also, I think this would be significantly less if it was just the computer, but it's the entire set up.

Unfortunately, as someone who doesn't drive their own vehicle yet, shipping costs or paying the seller to deliver the item themselves, is something I cannot really escape.
  • So if you were dead-set on buying the computer, why did you ask us if you won't be convinced otherwise?

I would think you would think a little more on this, because yeah for you it may be 'cheaper' but look at the hardware. Could be better.
  • So if you were dead-set on buying the computer, why did you ask us if you won't be convinced otherwise?

I would think you would think a little more on this, because yeah for you it may be 'cheaper' but look at the hardware. Could be better.

Just gathering opinions and information. I am not a gamer, so having a high quality video card is something which isn't important for me.

Also, I want something from around that time, with those specs. Heck, i'd even buy a pentium computer for Windows 95. I have a pentium 3 machine.. it's running 2000 and my other P3 laptop is running 98SE.

I guess I should've put that in the OP though.
  • How did your 486 bite the dust? Almost every single part in a 486 machine except the OEM motherboard can be swapped out for a generic part or if it is OEM you can wait until one pops up on eBay which usually won't take that long.

Also I've seen shipping on entire desktop + monitor + accessories only total to $50 so this guy is fucking with you
  • 30-286 wrote:
    Also I've seen shipping on entire desktop + monitor + accessories only total to $50 so this guy is fucking with you
    Often sellers will show artificially low shipping, and take what extra is required out of the regular price.

If you happen to know how someone could actually ship all that for $50 and not wind up with a pile of smashed garbage, please post details for the rest of us.
  • I just bought it, the shipping with FedEx 1 day ground shipping was $90 CAD.

Also, you're most-likely talking in American dollars. My Canadian dollars are worth around 33 cents less than yours, so keep the conversion in mind as well.

So it cost me $240 total.

Also, 30-286.

it bit the dust most likely because of a motherboard or processor issue. At least according to my friends at a local repair shop that helps me out for free. I was waiting an hour there as they tried to fix it, but eventually they came to me and said "it seems like its either a motherboard or processor problem".
  • QUOTE: "It is with great sadness that I must announce the death of my Turbo button, while working on it, the button itself got stuck, and I cannot seem to get it properly unstuck.

While testing I didn't see any smoke coming or anything when I was pushing it previous to it getting stuck, but none the less, I have disconnected the "Turbo SW" wire and only left the "Turbo LED" wire connected to light up that small circle beside where it says "turbo".

R.I.P Turbo Button.

P.S: I guess "R.I.P Turbo Button" is better than "R.I.P Motherboard"..."End quote
    I think this might have something to do with it...