Pentium MMX Tillamook vs Cyrix Mediagxm

edited May 2017 in Hardware
I am looking to replace my clunky IBM thinkpad 380xd with something much lighter and from the same era. I am looking at a laptop that has a Cyrix mediagxm 266 mhz processor which is a pentium mmx clone. the IBM thinkpad has the 233 mhz Pentium MMX Tillamook. I am wondering if anyone would know if the pentium MMX 233 MHZ Tillamook is the fastest CPU or if the Cyrix CPU is the fastest. The only thing I know about the processors is that the Pentium MMX came out in late 1997 up to the 233 mhz version and than the 266 mhz came out in january of 1998 and than a 300 mhz version apparently came out in 1999. And what I know about the Cyrix mediagxm is it came out after 1998 and was in low cost computers at the time, and also the laptops that had them where basically netbooks had no cd drive or floppy drive and was small and compact. The only thing I know is that the Cyrix has no L2 Cache , which makes it slower than the pentium MMX , But should a pentium MMX 233 mhz be much faster than the 266 mhz cyrix because of the L2 cache? I don't think that processor speed really matters to be since I will be probably running windows 3.1 on it.

Comments

• The Tillamook, no contest. The MediaGX is actually emulating a lot of devices in the SMM, or an equivalent node. Even if it weren't, I'm betting the Intel comes on top, especially in floating point. The lack of L2 makes it even more of a blowout.
  • ampharos wrote:
    The Tillamook, no contest. The MediaGX is actually emulating a lot of devices in the SMM, or an equivalent node. Even if it weren't, I'm betting the Intel comes on top, especially in floating point. The lack of L2 makes it even more of a blowout.

In what Percentage of it being slower than the Tillamook? I remember when the original Celeron came out pentium II based , they had no L2 cache and If I remember only like 10-30% slower or so? So how much slower should the MediaGXm be than the Tillamook? Can't be more than like 30% or so.
    I found a website online talking about the original MediaGX not the MediaGXm and they said it was about the same speed as a pentium Classic at the same clock. Wondering if that is the same for the MediaGXm?