What to do with an unused MacBook Air?

edited May 2017 in Hardware
I happen to own a late 2010 MacBook Air 11' that I haven't used since I got a retina MacBook Pro a couple years ago. I don't want to get rid of it, and I've been thinking of putting some other OS on it. So what should I install? The choices:

- Ubuntu
- Kubuntu
- Ubuntu Budgie
- Debian
- Fedora
- Windows 7 (Win10 didn't work; I'll explain why some other time)
- Any other OS except macOS (Please reply to the thread)

Comments

• I'd say Win7 or Ubuntu can go nicely with it... maybe Kubuntu also. Whichever works best for you :)

Linux Mint could do the trick also.
  • If you want to use it to learn linux a little bit, you could throw on Ubuntu or Debian. Windows 7 also isn't a bad OS to throw on.

If you have enough hard drive space to spare, you could also install a bootloader like grub and install both windows and linux to get the best of both worlds.
  • psychobat wrote:
    If you have enough hard drive space to spare, you could also install a bootloader like grub and install both windows and linux to get the best of both worlds.

The computer has a (from the factory) 64GB SSD in it...so not a bad idea to dual boot both. I don't know if Windows 7 would take kindly to only 32GB of storage (if I did a 50-50 split between the two OSes).

What about triple booting 2 Linuxes and Windows? The partitions could go like this:

12 --> Ubuntu
    12 --> Debian
    36 --> Win7
    4 --> common storage (an empty FAT32 partition that can be read by all OSes)

• Keep in mind that it isn't going to be exactly 64 GB. It will be roughly 58-59 GB.

Windows 7 will run fine on 32 GB of storage, at least for a little while. But after a few updates and some software, you'll run out of space.
  • Hmm...how old is it? i suggest using a contemporary windows OS and Dual-booting w/ linux.( tho some of us need a new computer...JK..tho i really do...)