Should I buy this?

edited April 2017 in Hardware
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 58#p577958

That is the URL to a vogons thread of mine, in which someone gave me an ebay link to a LED turbo display, that they say will solve my problems.

I want to check with multiple sources just to make sure, it's under maybe 10 posts, or just over, so if you read it, tell me what you think, should I buy that LED display or not?

Comments

• Whats in a turbo button anyway? Every one I've seen seems to indicate the LEDs are just hard-wired straight to voltage terminals because it only alternates between two states. Find one of the many turbo displays that displayed either "Hi" or "Lo" and pop that sucker in for an easy solution that is probably accurate for the case.
  • https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53484&p=577958#p577958

That is the URL to a vogons thread of mine, in which someone gave me an ebay link to a LED turbo display, that they say will solve my problems.

I want to check with multiple sources just to make sure, it's under maybe 10 posts, or just over, so if you read it, tell me what you think, should I buy that LED display or not?

I doubt this would solve anything, since it's just a button.

My advice is to simply test the contacts on the motherboard using a screwdriver to see if anything happens.

If anything, the 486 probably just doesn't support running at the lower speeds it's trying to switch to, and the chipset is probably detecting this and helps keep the system stable by disabling this functionality.

You should also check the BIOS for anything pertaining to this, and the jumpers and manuals too if you have them.

I've had no luck using turbo buttons on anything newer than a 386 - it's really a useless function anyways.

If it comes down to it, just use PCem to emulate the original PC/XT/AT.

I'm not one for emulation, but this is where it's really more useful than screwing around with 30+ year old hardware with little available documentation.

As a last resort, check in with Total Hardware 99 (http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/) for any jumper settings.

If nothing comes up, just deal with it until you can afford an earlier machine or simply use emulation. Your choice.

P.S. Why do you need the turbo button anyways? Why wasn't this posted in the other thread you created?
  • You're not understanding me, the Turbo button is indeed working, but I am just missing the LED panel where the speed is displayed.
  • You're not understanding me, the Turbo button is indeed working, but I am just missing the LED panel where the speed is displayed.

Why do you need this? You could just as easily glue some 7-segement displays to it and call it a day for much much cheaper, and with that you can make it custom as well.
  • PCAT wrote:
    You're not understanding me, the Turbo button is indeed working, but I am just missing the LED panel where the speed is displayed.

Why do you need this? You could just as easily glue some 7-segement displays to it and call it a day for much much cheaper, and with that you can make it custom as well.

Because I want to make it work as designed.
  • That ebay link appears to be sold out now. I probably would've sprung for it though, wouldn't have been a big loss at $5 shipped.