PCMCIA Card lost disk space

edited April 2017 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2GB PCMCIA card which had two partitions, 1.6G and 400MB. I decided to delete both partitions and start anew with just one. Unfortunately, when I attempt to use FDISK an incorrect size of 493MB is reported and the software only allows me to create a partition that size, leaving a whole 1.5GB unallocated.

Now, I used the TestDisk software to check if the 2GB were absolutely real, or if I fell of to a cheap trickster, and it does report the real amount of 2GB, but that software only scans and shows partitions to recover, it doesn't want to help me in creating a fresh 2GB FAT16 partition.

Is there anything I can do to fully recover the whole space of the card? Any software you can recommend? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Comments

• Are You tried HDD Low Level tool from HDDGURU.COM?
    For me that (very simple to use) tool always works for USB sticks, flash cards in card readers and HDD’s. I always use that tool before I use Fdisk and Format.
  • Thank you for the recommendation, but a few minutes after posting this, I tried an alternative solution. I processed the PC Card on a Compaq Presario 1500 with Windows XP Home. I installed MiniTool Partition Wizard 10 (still supported on that OS to my delight), detected the card, rebuilt the Master Boot Record and reformatted as a FAT16 2GB file system drive. Real capacity was restored.

Why Windows 98's FDISK tool did not recognize the real capacity of the card, I will never know...