Difference Between IBM thinkpad 380xd and 385xd?

edited March 2017 in Hardware
I have a ibm thinkpad 380xd and I was reading about the 385xd, and they both have the same specs , they can all have the same screens, and also the same processors? Why would IBM bring out 2 models that are basically the same? The only difference is that the 385xd can use a Ni-Mh cell pack instead of li-ion, and can use a li-ion as well, but the 380xd only can use a li-ion, but even though it says online where manufacturers remake the battery packs for this system, they say that the Ni-Mh pack won't work on the 380xd, but other people says online it works perfectly fine?

Comments

• Very minor difference.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/38xhmm.pdf

They both share the same manuals. Page 23 in this PDF shows the variations between those 2 models.
  • Very minor difference.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/38xhmm.pdf

They both share the same manuals. Page 23 in this PDF shows the variations between those 2 models.

So they are basically the same laptop? The only difference I see is the 385xd is only available in a HPA display, and it has one less option for a cpu
  • From what I can tell, yes they are basically the same laptop for the most part. It really came down to what config was ordered at the time of manufacture.

It's not much different from comparing a 380 with a 380D that came out a year prior to these XDs. In that example a 380D gave the option of having MMX CPU and TFT display while the 380 had neither.
  • From what I can tell, yes they are basically the same laptop for the most part. It really came down to what config was ordered at the time of manufacture.

It's not much different from comparing a 380 with a 380D that came out a year prior to these XDs. In that example a 380D gave the option of having MMX CPU and TFT display while the 380 had neither.

What about the battery? I know both of them can use a li-ion, I know that a Ni-Mh battery is also available , when you look online it says this battery only works with 385xd model? But in one of my different posts about batteries I never knew a Ni-Mh cell was available and you said that a Ni-Mh should work on a 380xd as well. Why isn't the 380xd on the compatibility list for the Ni-Mh, when people do say it will work? I believe it does say that the 380xd isn't compatible with Ni-Mh.
  • The 385XD had 2 Li-Ion batteries available. FRU 73H9951 used by Pentium MMX models and is still the same battery from earlier 380 series, such as the 380, 380D, and 380ED. FRU 02K6509 was a higher capacity battery and was supplied with the Pentium II models as it required more juice. The 380Z also uses the same Li-Ion battery as the 385XD also having a Pentium II.

From the large number of 380 series laptops I have, both coming with Ni-Mh and Li-Ion batteries, they've all interchangeable - same size, same connectors, and same 16V for DC input. Only a slight difference in the amps and in those days the price. IBM may have decided that the Ni-Mh batteries would be an unsatisfactory experience for Pentium IIs, who knows.
  • The 385XD had 2 Li-Ion batteries available. FRU 73H9951 used by Pentium MMX models and is still the same battery from earlier 380 series, such as the 380, 380D, and 380ED. FRU 02K6509 was a higher capacity battery and was supplied with the Pentium II models as it required more juice. The 380Z also uses the same Li-Ion battery as the 385XD also having a Pentium II.

From the large number of 380 series laptops I have, both coming with Ni-Mh and Li-Ion batteries, they've all interchangeable - same size, same connectors, and same 16V for DC input. Only a slight difference in the amps and in those days the price. IBM may have decided that the Ni-Mh batteries would be an unsatisfactory experience for Pentium IIs, who knows.

If you look on amazon they sell a Ni-Mh compatible https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmart-10-8V-Battery-ThinkPad-380CSE/dp/B00CAFOXVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490453340&sr=8-1&keywords=73H9952 it has the all of the models listed and , than it says in the description that is only for these types TYPE 2635-Dxx/Exx/Fxx, and the cell won't work on these types 2635-8xx/LEU/9xx/Axx /Bxx. Mine is a 2635-9xx model which would mean Ni-Mh would not work, but This listing is most likely wrong, it gets confusing when one seller says it will work and than another says it won't work.