dell dimension 2400 dos game sound help

edited March 2017 in Hardware
I was given a dimension 2400 and i installed windows 98se on it. It has a 2.4ghz p4 cpu with 1gb of memory. I found all the drivers for windows 98 and games for 98 has sound but dos games don't. It has a soundmax ac'97 built in audio. It use IRQ3 and no DMA for the audio. I can set the IRQ to 3 when i use sound blaster clone but the games want me to set DMA too and i tried 0 up to 3. So i am at a lost right now. Thanks for the help i get.

Comments

• Try setting the Sound Blaster's IRQ to 5. If that doesn't work, you could try DOSBox. There's older versions that work on Win9x and emulate SB cards.
  • I can vouch for DOSBox 0.72. Worked on DirectX 6.1 (I don't know if it works on earlier versions of DX) and just requires an 800x600 resolution.

Some MS-DOS games utilise the diagnostic speaker on your motherboard (Digger and Doom to name a couple) which is a nice little retro touch (especially if you're not expecting it!).
  • Anything with SoundBlaster emulation is a crapshoot, especially if that emulation is post-2000. Often, they might need a TSR to assist the emulation. Even then, it'll sound like ass and take up CPU cycles.
  • windows 98 won't let me change IRQ to 5. I got directx 9.0c on it with my video set to 1280 x 1024 at 32 bit color. I download and try dosbox. I was thinking of using my pci sound blaster card. I like the built in sound card just for the front headphones. Thanks for the help.