Error on two IBM pc

edited March 2017 in Hardware
I got problems with two different computers that I'm working on.

The first computer is an IBM personal computer 300PL model number 6862 – 26U. The second computer is an IBM PS\ValuePoint 433DX\S.

The IBM personal computer 300PL doesn't even display anything to the display and no POST beep. I have checked the RAM and CPU in a second system and they tested good. I have also tried good RAM and CPU in this system and still nothing on the display. There is no CMOS battery in the system because I only have one that is used by another system.

The IBM PS\ValuePoint 433DX\S comes up and post with these error messages:
8603 Pointing Device Error
161 Bad CMOS Battery
601 Diskette Drive Error
163 Date and Time Incorrect

The pointing device error makes sense because I can't put a PS/2 mouse into the connector because the port is blocked (need to drill out broken plastic part). The bad CMOS battery error also makes sense because there is no CMOS battery for the same reason as before. The data and time incorrect is most likely because I just plugged in the system and there is no CMOS battery. The error I can't figure out is 601 diskette drive error. The computer can boot from a hard drive that has MS-DOS 6.22 on it and the computer can run games no problem. I have checked the floppy drive in another system and it checks out. I have also tried another drive and cable and it still give me the error.

Can anyone please help me. I am stumped.
Thanks.

Comments

• Many BIOSes need the CMOS set up before the floppy drives will really work right. This one probably has a BIOS check that attempts to detect the drive type, or just assumes 1.44mb - but it won't really know for sure until you tell it, so it will show you that error until you do.
  • I put in a new CMOS battery and I still get the same error as before.
    Thanks.
  • After you put in the new CMOS battery, did you go into the Configuration Utility Program to update the bios?

The IBM PS/ValuePoint (PS/VP) Hardware Maintenance Manual is available at:
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/valuepnt/s61g1423.pdf
  • I tried to set up the floppy drive in the bios but it doesn't let me modify the configuration.

Thanks.